Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats a "flam"?

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by bsplyr54, Mar 3, 2001.

1. bsplyr54

bsplyr54 Guest

Mar 3, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    I posted this question on the techniques part of this page, but i want a professional opinion, so can you help me? i was looking at vic Wootens web page and he mentioned a "flamming" technique. I assume he got the idea from the drumming tehnique, because I searched for it and only pulled up a buncch of drumming technique pages. Any advice?

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Vic did take is "flam" technique as an extension of the drum technique. I am not sure exactly how he accomplishes it though. I'll see if I can find anything out.

Mike

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

...alright, so this is the price I pay for tryin' to help you out, huh?
    (Didn't think I'd look in here, eh?).
    Me thinks I've been "flammed"! :D

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, a flam (or as the swiss call it a falam) is a percussion rudiment. and it is accomplished by striking the drum head with both sticks in rapid succession so that they almost hit the head at the same time (both at the same time is a gock, or a really crappy flam).the first stick that hits the head strikes it rather softly, i.e. finesse, while the second stick strikes more aggressively, i.e. accented. this is accomplished on a bass, if i undersatnd you correctly, by hooking youfirst and second fingers under one or two strings (two strings is easier when you're first starting out). usually the D and G strings, and pulling them out in rapid succession, so that you hear 2 pops one right after the other. and when combined with a slap, it makes for a pretty interesting technique. and if you time it correctly, you can play triplets in this manner...it's pretty awesome....try it!! good luck...if my explanation sucked, just let me know...i'll try to clarify. :D

5. bsplyr54

bsplyr54 Guest

Mar 3, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    nononono jim. i posted this question on both pages before you responded. you havent been flammed, but a victim of bad timing. seriously, you can check the dates and everything. thanks for your help.

paul

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Paul-
    ...just jokin', man.
    What's funny is neptoon's response having some of the same keywords as mine at the other forum("rudiment", "hooking", "combined with a slap", etc).
    BTW-
    Mike Dimin IS the man, too. Hey, Mike...why not put a sound sample of a "flam" @ your site?

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    :D mebbe i should've checked out the other thread...i hate to put out redundant info, but that's great, man! see?? makes for some kewl double stop riffs too. i dig this technique...hey, once you get this down, you should try it with three fingers....:D