What's a fretless Musicman sound like?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jongor, Jan 5, 2006.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Anyone have one, or recordings of one?
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Look for some of Paul Young CD's with Pino Pallidino on a fretless Stingray. Building the Perfect Beast by Don Henley has Pino on that Stingray too. It sounds pretty close to a jazz to me.
  3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Tony Levin with Peter Gabriel. San Jacinto is a good start.

My jazz has a MM humbucker in the neck ... it sounds huge. Suspect a real Stingray fretless would be similar.
  4. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I got one you can try out ... I'm about 30 minutes from ya...
  5. brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I have a fretless MM Sterling with an additional Piezo. It's a nice bass and it definately works. The piezo makes it sound fat as ****...and the bass can get a lot of sounds. It sounds nothing like upright bass, but I never need that sound from an electric.

For some reason though (maybe because I don't play fretless all that often...), I find myself wishing I just had a fretless jazz. Fretless is not really my voice, so usually if I grab my fretless I have the jaco sound in my head. Sometimes though, I need to do the Pino Palladino thing (can anyone say 80's ballad!) and it's right on.

All in all, there good basses, but if you can only have one fretless, and you want it for the traditional fretless sound, get a jazz type bass.....
  6. I have a MM bucker in my streamer Jazzman fretless. It sounds real dark, thumpy. Great for finger funk low down the neck, not so hot in the higher registers. I tend to use the J pickup in the neck for traditional sounding fretless work.
  7. I've got an original MusicMan - fretless. Sounds great and plays great - even after almost 30 years. It stays in the closet, though...no way that's ever leaving the house (unless some collector in Japan gives me enough in cash to put my 3 kids through college). :D
  8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Had a fretless MM.
    Great bass, plays and has that Pino sound.
    For me, I strung it with TI-flats, Big and Fat.
  9. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
  10. Mmmmmmmmm... :cool: