Whats a good 15 inch replacement speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pencil124, Nov 27, 2003.

1. pencil124

Nov 27, 2003
    I have an empty 115 bass cab that i wanna put a really great speaker in somewhere between 200 and 400 watts. I like gallien krueger a lot to let you know what style i like. I personally hate the sound of ampeg. Anybody have and good speaker models that they know off and where they can get them?
  2. out of all the 15" speaker enclosures that i've tried/used and after replacing the speakers from different manufacturers, i've never heard a better sound quality/punch than through an EV (Electro-Voice) ..... where to get your speaker obviously depends on your locale

you won't be disappointed :bassist:
  3. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I love GK and hate Ampeg too! Wow!

ps look at eminence speakers
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Anything except Carvin speakers.
  5. pencil124

Nov 27, 2003
    i hear ev is also good but from what they say they dont make good speakers for bass guitar anymore
  6. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    yeah i'm pretty sure EV doesn't make bass speakers anymore

i have heard good things about Eminence, Avatar uses them and i think other companies do as well but im really not sure.
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I believe that Carvin speakers are made by Eminence. Ironically a friend of mine uses a small Sonic (brand) 1x15. He's blown a number of EVMs but has had great luck with Carvin...

The best prices I've found on Eminence speakers is from Dave at Avatar visit www.avatarspeakers.com

What kind of empty 1x15 do you have?
  8. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Eminence makes drivers for a bunch of companies that put their own brand name on them... I've heard the list includes Ampeg, Carvin, and Eden.

Billy, I've also used the Carvin raw drivers and found them to sound really good, and much cheaper than Eminence-branded drivers.

All the talkbass speaker building gurus will tell you that a good driver in the wrong cabinet will sound like crap. Might be a good idea to download a copy of WinISD and do some modeling with different drivers in the box you have before making a decision.
  9. pencil124

Nov 27, 2003
    i currently have an empty hartke 115vx.
  10. Carvin no longer uses Eminence speakers. There was quite a heated discussion about this on their forum awhile back. The moderators on the Carvin website claim the company has switched to a new superior brand that blows away the competition...in their opinion. What a few of us wanted to know was,who makes the new speakers? When did they switch to the new brand? What are the specs on the new speakers? I've been getting catalogs from Carvin for years, and the specs on the bass speakers haven't changed. It's all a big mystery.

I played through a Carvin rig that was about a year old. The 210 cab sounded really good, I wasn't impressed with the 15. I don't know if they were Eminence speakers or the new models.
  11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What you want is an ElectroVoice EVX-150A. Put it in a nice big cab, you'll be very happy with it. It's got a fat thunderous sound that can easily shake the rafters. The 18" model is good too. Handles a kilowatt. Not a lot of high end, but you can cross it over and add a horn, or just use it by itself (you're a BASS player, right?). I think it peaks out at around 2 kHz, which is plenty for most basses. It's great for that fat old-school sound, like you can run an Acoustic 370 or a Sunn through it and get that thunderous bass "way" out into the audience. I have a couple of the 18" EVX versions in my subs, I'm very happy with them, they're some of the best speakers I've ever had (for one thing, they're still alive, in spite of my best efforts to kill 'em, I regularly run a couple kilowatts through 'em and they do just fine). They're very precise, very punchy for big speakers, if you add a good horn you can get some amazingly detailed and articulate sound.
  12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Hey pencil124 - Since the VX cabinets are pretty new in the Hartke line, where did the original 15 go?
  13. There is nothing wrong with Eminence speakers: only the way they are used by cab manufacturers. Eminence not only markets their own line, but is OEM to many/most/nearly all (?) the cab makers. I understand Eden makes their own. Eminence offers to OEMs a catalog of hundreds of driver designs, all of varying cost (read: quality).

Carvin uses acoustically large drivers and stuffs them into a too-small box. It makes no matter if they are made by Eminence or Donald Trump, the drivers are going to have a fat hump in the mid-bass and a gutless bottom. This is the not the fault of the driver, but what it is stuffed in to.

The published specs for the Carvin PS10 driver show it to be a near perfect match for the Eminence Beta 10. Yawn. Not my idea of an exciting 10" driver, for sure. IMO, Carvin probably uses Betas instead of Deltas, because they cost less.
  14. INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    If you'll be running the cab alone, then I second the JBL E-140 suggestion.

If the box is stout, and close to 4 cu. ft, the JBL 2226H is a great sub, 600W RMS. But it needs another cab to fill in the mid/high frequencies.

I've used the EV-force 15 and it worked well as a keyboard speaker (with a small piezo tweeter), but didn't have enough bottom for bass in a big room. Good for a bass practice rig, when installed in a small box-light and portable.
  15. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Eminence Deltalite 2515. Saves your back, quick responce, efficient...
  16. pencil124

Nov 27, 2003
    billy: i bought the hartke vx115 off ebay cause some guy had blown out the speaker.

also to the guy talking about the ev's i think the evx 15a is too high wattage i was hoping for something 200-500 watts cause i dont have the type of amps u need to push it to 1000.

lastly, has anybody heard anything about fane?
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  18. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003

Hey, somebody had to do it :D :bag:
  19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001