Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's a good 1U single space preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joetiii, Jan 4, 2006.

1. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    I have a sansamp RBI, but now that I have an all tube Mesa, and just sold my Eden, I need advice on a solid sweet & modern sounding preamp. I hear lots about BBE ... anything else to consider in the $250 used range? :bassist:

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    what eden did you have? navigator? what didn't you like about the sound? what don't you like about the RBI? RU gassy? ;-)

might want to fill out your profile so we can know about your equipment and you!

3. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've had both BBEs the BMAX and BMAX-T and the Fender TBP-1. They're both awesome IMO. The BMAX is more "fast" and responsive and the others are responsive but have a warmth that I really like.

I still have the BBE BMAX-T and I'm selling it le tme know if you're interested.

Take care...

4. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    I have an Eden Metro Combo and love the tone shaping capabilities, quickness & headroom of the powersection and the punch and depth of the 10's. I used that this past year to do my outdoor and larger shows. For practice I've lightened up and am running the tech 21 RBI through a soundtech PS80 into an aggie 112. The RBI was gotten to emulate the Bassman & SVT sound. While it does a decent job of copying, I wasn't happy with the scooped mids as the blend was turned up.

I just picked up a Mesa Boogie D180 to do the all tube thang and last night I was able to dial in some nice sounds. I sold the Eden to finance the Mesa and another cab. So the RBI's going to go & in its place I'd like a second 1U preamp to mate with soundtech to get me a modern sound.

5. Find an Aggie 659 before they disappear from the stores.
    Edit: I read your title and not the content of your post. The Aggie is not my idea of modern sounding and certainly isn't likely to be found for $250! I don't have a suggestion that meets your criteria.

6. Salizander

Salizander

Oct 28, 2004
    I really like my ADA MB-1. Lots of versitility, features & a great sound.