1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's a good 210 to combine with my 410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by El Raro, Nov 6, 2013.

1. I have an Ashdown ABM 410H cab which I'm really digging but I'm wanting to add more "oomph!" to my sound and take full advantage of my amp. Conventional wisdom will tell me to get a matching cab but I can't justify lugging around another 410 unnecessarily so I'm thinking an 8 Ohm 210 will give me more than enough grunt to work with. I just don't know where to start or what cab would work well with the Ashdown.

So what are some nice 210 options to consider in this respect? I don't particularly want to dump a lot of cash on another cab since I just forked a fair bit on a new bass so I'm effectively ruling out Mesa, higher end GK and Ampeg goods.

For the record, the Ashdown 410 has a 600 watt loading at 8 Ohms and my amp pushes 350 watts at 4 Ohms.

Cheers!

2. The only way a 2x10 will work properly with a 4x10 is if it has twice the impedance of the 4x10. This way each of the drivers in either cabinet will receive an equal amount of power. If your 4x10 is 8Ω then your 2x10 must be 16Ω.

Running equal impedances just means that the 2x10 will limit the 4x10 to around the output of the 2x10. It's a pointless exercise. You might even get LESS than the 4x10 by itself.

3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. yup, exactly what Paul said with the amp you are using to push it ... might even add it should be a matching 210 version of your 410 if possible also, same drivers, etc ...

I use 210/210/210 on occassion, but with my GK 800RB, two seperate power amps, one amp pushes 4/10s at 4 ohms, the other a 210 at 8 ohms ... same thing would work with a 'stereo' power amp/pre set-up ... maybe try raising your 410 a bit for better hearing ?? maybe EQ a bit different to get more out of it (cut lows a tad?)

4. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    What's the head?

With an amp of that rating I'd give the 410 the flick and get 2 212s stacked vertical. The TC RS212 is my favorite, but it does cost a lot.

Currently you're probably only tossing 185-200w at that 410, so it's no wonder you're not moving mountains. The ABM 410 is pretty capable though, so maybe you need a 500w amp in this instance if more volume is the goal.

5. Cheers for that, Paul. Didn't know that it would affect my output to that extent. So I guess that rules out adding anything but another 410, right? That or buy a larger single 4ohm cab.

I'm pretty happy with my EQ as it is and I find it sites very well in the band mix. I just wanted to pump more power through more speakers for the extra balls. I might stack my 410 on top of some milk crates at prac tonight and see if that does anything but it looks like my search for a 210 is pretty much over lol.

Thanks again for the info guys. Appreciate the frankness.

My amp is an SWR Bass 350. From memory, it pumps around 240 watts at 8 Ohms. Definitely a nice sounding head but, agreed, it does seem a little underpowered on paper.

Funny enough, I was actually considering a TC cab before I settled with the Ashdown. The cheaper model 410, though. Those RS ones sure do look and sound nice...Troy Sanders from Mastodon uses them and they sound HUGE on their latest live release.

6. Which is easy to achieve, by rewiring a 4 ohm version to series.

7. Not that adding a 210 is a good idea, but the easiest way for you to do it (and really get more volume out of it) would be to take a feed off your balanced XLR out and send that to a small power amp and have that power the 210. That would allow you to add more volume while avoiding the issues mentioned. It would also mean you could just run the 210 off your SWR for smaller gigs, so you'd have 3 levels of power: SWR/210, SWR/410, SWR+PowerAmp/410+210. It would also mean the 210 could be either 4 ohm or 8 ohm, since it would always be powered by its own amp.

A used power amp with the power for something like that will be very cheap. You could even find something in a single rack space unit.

8. If lugging around another 410 is unnecessary then why would lugging around a 2x10 cabinet be useful? The ABM410H is a very high output cabinet with a sensitivity of 103dB so it would take a really loud 2x10 cabinet to keep up with it. Ashdown does not make one in the ABM series and, actually, I don't know of anyone who makes one that is comparable. A 2x10 cabinet from another manufacturer would be necessary and that would get you into the realm of mixing cabinets where results are generally unpredictable. Since the ABM410H is so sensitive, it means that nearly every 2x10 will provide only a marginal increase in volume and, in my opinion, it would not be worth the effort to carry it. As an example, Ashdown makes a 2x10 in their NEO series and it has a sensitivity of 98.5dB so I doubt you would even hear a difference if you added one of those.

If what you want is more "oomph" then I think your best bet is either another ABM410H or a different cabinet(s). Since that is such a high output cabinet it would most likely take two other cabinets to provide an improvement or something bigger from Ashdown. Ashdown also makes 6x10 and 8x10 cabinets in the ABM series and both of those are likely to have higher output than the 4x10.

This is just my opinion and disagreement is likely. :)