1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's a good acoustic bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stingray2112, Feb 18, 2008.

1. I've played alot of acoustics and I've found some really great ones but they come with a really nice price tag too,lol. I want to buy a good one but not fork over a couple thousand on one, so I'm here looking for suggestions on a good acoustic that sounds good and that has a resonable price tag. Can you help me out? And another thing, do you think I should buy acoustic or acoustic electric, I know that an acoustic electric costs more but I don't mind spending it on that.

Be Blessed,
    Steve

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Tacoma Thunderchiefs are arguably considered the standard. Neither the least or most expensive, but about as large a sound as you're going to get out of an acoustic bass guitar. FWIW, I went against the grain with mine and strung it with flats... no more string noise and I'm much happier because of it.

3. danomar

danomar

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta
    I was surprised at how nice the Dean five-string acoustic played. For under $250, it seriously caught my attention.

The Godin A4 or A5 fretless basses are incredible IMO but not as good as acoustics as they are electrics. Great amped sound and fantastic action, though!

4. I've played quite a few different acoustics.

Thunderchief is the bomb as far as acoustic volume goes, but they are enormous and usually expensive.

Ovations are big as well (LONG), and sound OK but can be difficult to play sitting down. You know how on an electric bass the bridge is near the edge? Well on an acoustic they are 8 - 10 inches from the edge and therefore can be tough to play centered on the body and the neck flat.

Martins are well made and sound good. Not sure they are worth the hefty pricetag though.

I own a Dean Performer, 32" scale so it plays a bit easier sitting down. It sounds good, but like most acoustic bass it's not loud enough without amplification to play with two guitars and vocals. Pretty much none but the T-chief are.

monk

5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    There are a number out there.
    Over water make a nice one.
    Henning Doderer in Germany also makes nice ones (www.doderer-guitars.de), so does Magnus Krempel of Magnusguitars.(www.magnusguitars.de).

Many more out there I'm sure.

6. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    Whatever brand you get, get the acoustic/electric version. You'll undoubtedly be plugging in much of the time in order to be heard.
    +1 on the flats.

7. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Tacoma Thunderchief is the acknowledged "best," and I don't think it'll run you THAT much, maybe $1,200-1,500 or so.

The best "thump" for the buck is, in my opinion, any of several made by Michael Kelly. I have a Fretless Dragonfly 5 that I simply love.

8. I bought an Ibanez exotic wood an I'm happy.

L.A.

9. Thunderchief....

by the way, has anyone played that aluminum top Martin?

10. oh, and if you have the cash and you're lucky enough to find one, the Taylor is pretty sweet...

11. dmilt23451

dmilt23451

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas TX
    Depending on how much you are willing to spend check out Tacoma's off shore brand Olympia...I have one of their AEB's modeled after the Thunderchief, and even though the fit and finish isnt the greatest, and its lam. wood its sounds acousticaly very similar to the higher end Thunderchiefs at about a third of the price. (I played both and decided that it wasn't worth the extra bills for what I was going to use it for)

12. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    Acoustic or acoustic electric? It depends on what environment you are going to use it. IME, Laminated top acoustics aren't typically loud played acoustically but are resistant to feedback when plugged in. The opposite is true for most solid tops. Unfortunately the physicality of acoustic basses aren't that loud and aren't big enough to project much fundamental low end. This is why acoustic stand up basses are so big.

13. Graeme Moss

Graeme Moss

Sep 3, 2006
    Well i've been toying with getting a thunderchief or an old Takamine G series as a cheaper option. Guess it has to be the thunderchief. Barely heard of in the UK but get great reviews in the states.