1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's a good aftermarket pickup for the MM Sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rob_the_bassist, Mar 6, 2008.

1. I love the sound of the Sterling, but I only REALLY love it when the switch is in parallel mode. I like it because it sounds close to a stingray.

is it possible to get an aftermarket pickup so that the Sterling would sound more like the stingray? i really lke the playability of the Sterling and the small body and the overall feel...

but i really really dig that stingray sound and that fat bottom.

any suggestions?

can i get close to that 'ray sound without getting an aftermarket pickup?

2. anyone? how about the nordy mm4.3

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Buy a Stingray and sell the Sterling IMO.

I am in the same boat. I bought a SR4 recently and the tone blew me away. Within a week I bought a Sterling as I liked the Jazz-like neck and smaller body.

No idea if it is the alnico vs. ceramic issue, but the Sterling doesn't sound as good as a SR live IMO. BUT, I need to compare the 2 with the same strings, etc.

Regardless, I prefer the sound of my SR but the feel of the Sterling.

4. I can get a pretty close 'ray tone out of the sterling and boosting the bass knob just a little adds A LOT of balls to the sound. but i still feel like i'm missing something.

i think it is the ceramic versus alcino issue.

so i'm thinking that a sterling with an alcino pickup would really rock. then again, the guys over at musicman probably know what works more than i do.

5. Go for the nordy. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

lowsound

6. I've never heard one person disappointed with a nordstrand pickup of any kind, let alone the MM style pickups.

I'm not about to change that.

It looks like you already know what you want and that it will almost definitely get you that sound you're after. Just try it!

7. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    At one time I was looking for something a bit different (call it GAS, i don't know...) I put a Bartolini MM pickup into my EBMM Sterling. Terrible. It lost all it's character. It sounded thin. I think the preamp is voiced to go with the Ernie Ball pickups or something. I was not happy. I put it back the way it was...lesson learned.

Be careful.

8. Fine custom made pickups. Just tell him what you are after and he builds them and modifies them until you get what you want. Amazing quality and service for the same price as off the shelf pickups.

attachment.

mickb@adam.com.au

Attached Files: