Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's a good all tube combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Jun 29, 2005.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I'm open to anything. Hopefully under 1g.

Fire off your reccomendations.

2. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    B100r is solid state.

Do you work at GC?

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    In that vein:

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Used Mesa Buster 200 1X15. I just happen to know where one is, too!

5. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    What about the Ampeg Portaflex Reissue? I have not tried one of those and I know they are somewhat expensive but I'll bet you could find a used one at a reasonable price. The new one is supposed to be able to get the sound of the old one along with a more modern tone and have more power and a tweeter too it's 100 watts I think. I believe Obied Kahn worked with Jess Oliver on the design of the new version, I'll bet it sounds great.

6. It's the V4BH in combo form and sounds NOTHING like a real B15N. Even used they are ungodly expensive. They don't sound bad, but they definitely do NOT sound like a B15.

Pignose currently makes a tube bass combo, IIRC.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own two 100w all-tube 1x15 combos. The first is the Pignose Sir Psycho referred to (B-100V):

[​IMG]

It uses four 6L6's, and after you replace the really cruddy Chinese tubes it comes with, it doesn't sound half bad. There is a thread with more details here. This combo is still made, and it's a bona fide all tube option. It doesn't have the most bells or whistles, but with decent tubes, it doesn't sound half bad. I am thinking about upgrading the speaker, but it is a rather shallow enclosure.

Another great 100w all tube head is the Trace Elliot Twin Valve Combo. This amp really turned me on to Trace Elliot, and showed me that tubes can be warm yet articulate and precise at the same time. The power section in this amp employs two 6550's, and when I bought mine from Steve Azola, he was kind enough to equip it with a pair of properly biased GE 6550A's. He also made some modifications to the enclosure itself (changed the port design). At any rate, this combo just rules, and if you find one used, I'd jump on it.

[​IMG]

But seeing as how there aren't all that many all tube combos available (see the Ampeg and Mesa Boogie references, above), you may want to just get an all-tube head and a seperate cab. In addition to having more options, this route is more flexible and allows for mix and match.

Tom.

8. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Sorry for the mixup. I'm confusing that amp with the b15r on special order. And by the way, my recommending any amplifier is no different than any other player who has played through alot of gear, most of which I have never had the opportunity sell, unfortunately. It's not like I'm asking for his shipping address and giving him my employee number. I don't really care what you think about certain music retailers, and regardless, I would probably agree with you on certain points.
    The b100r is a very warm sounding little unit. Way better than the behringer line. The Eden Metro is also a stout box for small and medium gigging. I think in general bass players are truly blessed with a wide range of usuable equipment. If only I got paid enough to aford a Sadowsky.

9. V4 combo? Same features at my head but they came in 1x15" and 2x10+horn... 200w, all valve, tasty indeed....

10. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE

That's from trace elliot, right? Do they still make them?

11. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Not manufactured anymore but have popped up on eBay from time to time, easier to find than the V8 head which is the bass equivalent of platignum dust for ease of locating. Then when you find one it's in bloody Australia... :(. +1 on the V4 combo, you'll love it, any Trace all valve head is good news, dual valve, V4 and all the others are all great amps.

12. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I snagged this old 40 watt, 1x15" Alamo combo by searching Gbase.com

"Keyword" = tube, "Type" = select "Bass Amps", click "Find Gear"

it's about as simple as you can get; "bass" and "instrument" inputs with
    vol., bass, and treble controls for each (works great with the dual outputs
    of R/A #272 :D )

unlike my Demeters or B15-R combo, I can pick it up with one hand :p :hyper:

Attached Files:

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I hadn't heard about GBase before. Thanks for sharing!

Tom.

14. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    :D At least we have one thing going for us.