whats a good amp/cab for....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jnightmare, Jun 18, 2004.

1. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    well i was wondering if anyone on this site plays hardcore music or if anyone is in a hardcore band. and i was wondering what setup do you use, or if anyone knows a good setup for this type of music. right now im trying to research as much about diffent amps and cabs to try and come to a decision. i kind of am digging the tone the bassist from eighteen visions, on borken wings and scarlet get. anyone know there setup by chance? i know a lot of bands seem to use ampeg but im not to much a fan of ampeg, wondering if anyone knows of any other good combinations to keep an eye out on and check out. i guess im mainly looking for a fat tone that can cut into the mix well, and get some pretty good dirt in it, but at the same time i want to be able to dial in and get a nice clean tone. or should i just consider finding a head with a fat clean tone and get a good overdrive pedal? or should i try going the preamp/power amp road?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well SWR is the obvious option for those who dislike Ampeg.

Clear, clean, deep, hifi, and pretty much the antithesis of the classic Ampeg sound; which I characterize as thick, sometimes boomy, and bass heavy.

Also from what I have heard about hardcore music and shows, I would spend as little as possible because of the huge chance of broken equipment.

Hope that helped.
  3. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    hahaha if im playing shows where people are going that nuts for me. then i should have more cash to spend on equipment haha. any SWR head you recommend i keep an eye out for?
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I liked the 350X that I played out of at a local store.

A little pricy (MF has them for 700ish), but sounded pretty good to me, with minor tweaks.

I would suggest Pre/Power setup for those on a lower budget, generally you will get more power for your money.
  5. i've got a fair bit of experience in this kinda music and i've not got alot of money to spend i'm currently looking at hartke heads!

main reason cos' they have a solid state and tube pre amp so you can get a nice gritty sound from the tube section but still keep control of it!

the 5500 seems like the best of the selection! pretty straight forward 500 watt effort! i've also heard their heads are pretty reliable!

might just be something worth trying!
  6. xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I play in a hardcore band and im currently using a gk 1001rb II into a peavey 410 cab. I will soon be upgrading the peavey but im not sure to what yet. I definetly love the head, it can get really agressive sounding and cut though 2 half stacks and still have a ton of headroom. I have knoticed a big trend in hardcore latley to use a sansamp bddi > gk head > ampeg 810.

I think SWR tends to be too mid scooped to cut through in hardcore

the pre amp / poweramp rig is a great idea as well you can get a ton of power fairly cheap.

just my 2 cents

7. why not use a guitaramp such as an old JCM800 or superlead?
    but then u can´t get a clean sound but it will cut through. other than that the hartke 3500 has a good clean sound and again GK has amps "suitable" for hc. back when i was playing in a hc-band i was using a trace-elliot with a 2x15 and later on a hartke 3500 and with distortion pedals. on the other hand i like ampegs and have alot of edge in my sound more guitar like rather than fat so i don´t know if it helps u.
  8. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
  9. how about the yorkville XS400H and cabs of your choise and config...???

got onboard footswitchable tube drive, this the kinda thing you'd like??? i'm informed they are a pretty damn loud 400 watts

what do other people think about this amps suitability?
  10. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'd really reccomend the rig Jason mentioned. A Sansamp BDDI->GK 1001RB-II-> cab is really subject, but I'd reccomend GKs RBH of even Ampeg 6x10.
  11. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    This will be seperated into points because thats how my thought process works:

- Hartke makes very versatile heads from what I've seen
    - Moving air seems more important than great tone (blasphemous as it may sound that is the trend I see in hardcore.)
    - Lots and lots of mid, super-frowny EQ even
    -I would think of portablity, if you go on tour you may regret an 8x10" with an 8 space deep rack.
    - Rackmountable head or a p/p setup just to make sure your knobs don't go falling off.

A hartke head and lots of speaker is what my opinion boils down to.

I have seen a lot of hardcore bands live, living in South Florida (home of Eulogy Recordings) brings a lot of the major players in hardcore through here regularly, most of them are using 8x10"s, but in a lot of cases it is 1 8x10" and all the bands on tour use the same one.
  12. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    yeah, they tend to use ampeg i know that for sure. hey josh by any chance you know what setup the bassist of on broken wings usues? seeing there on eulogy records and you may have seen them. hmmm... do you suggest more that i go with 10s for a cab? i was kind of thinking going with a 4x10 and 2x12 cab setup by self for more portability rather than hauling a 8x10. but then again like mentioned does anyone know how well the ampeg 6x10 sound?

also xcentral34x or anyone else who can answer this, how do the sansamp rbi and sansamp BDDI match up? which one would you say is "better" or more versitle? i notice the rbi has a mid, bass and treble knob but the sansamp BDDi only has treble and bass knobs.
  13. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I have a Fulltone Bass Drive overdrive pedal that I like, but my metal/hardcore friend has a Big Muff distortion pedal that he thinks is more metal/hardcore...
  14. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I used a Hartke 3500 and two 1x18 cabs. That setup gave me plenty of stage volume playing against two Marshall half-stacks. The cabs were custom built and sealed to help midrange response. I never worry about my highs in a hardcore band. To me its about mids and super strong yet well defined lows. I know my setup was a bit unorthodox but everyone loved the sound I had. I never got the grit out of the Hartke that I thought it should have. Try different combinations till you find what sounds cool to YOU! Dare to be different, find your own sound.
  15. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I am trying real hard to remember, I've seen them a few times but the last time I did I was outside when they played. I want to say it was an Ampeg but I can't be positive. I think the 6x10" is the same as the 8x10" without the coax speakers, I like the way it sounds but I am really a fan of 15"s myself. I think if you could get a good 4x12" setup youd probably be good, I have a friend who takes a lot of pictures at shows, I looked at what he has online and there are none that show the bass setup but it was only one show, there are two more that I know he was at so maybe he has some from those, I'll ask. I'm off to guitar center to see if they still have the used Eden 2x10" and if I can put it on layaway.
  16. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Im in two hardcore bands. One is straight-up HxC, the other is metalcore. Personally Im running an Ampeg B2R through an Avatar B115H and a Peavey 1x15. I wanna get a 2x10 to relpace the peavey.

If you want cheap and simple, go for either Hartke HA3500, or Behringer BX3000T. Decent power, and you wont be so heartbroken if it gets into the mosh. As for cabs, go with one of the Big Three for cheap awesomeness. Avatar, Dr Bass, LDS. I recomment a 4x10 or something of the sort. Itll help you cut through the mix.
  17. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    As far as cabinets, for the value minded the new VX series by Hartke has proven very reliable. I bass tech for a friend of mine and he's a penny pincher when it comes to money so he always hates to spend a lot. I feel the VX series cabs sound better than the aluminum ones. My friend tunes down to low C and his VX410 handles it very well. The Hartke VX810 is only $600!

Also, I'd shy away from SWR because they are mid shy and you'll have trouble hearing yourself in a loud mix. To compensate you'd end up boosting the mids a lot. Because of that you'd have to deal with phase distortion and a lot of ugly hardcore bass tones are a result of EQ having to compensate for things not there. So of course you'd want to have a decent bass as well.

For heads I'd recommend Gallien-Krueger. A Gallien-Krueger 1001RBII would be all you would ever need, and the 2001RBII would be godsend. Being that you're in a hardcore band and not a national one at that who has roadies, techies, security and such, I'd stay away from anything with tubes because tubes are fragile and you have to take good care of it. Believe me, people will run into you. I've had it happen plenty. Not to mention you'll find that the solid state sound is a lot tighter. This is important since I'm sure you'll be chugging along with the guitar riffs with a pick. You'll appreciate the quickness and the focus so your bassline doesn't get lost in the blur like most do. Also, invest in the SansAmp Bass Driver DI as many people here have mentioned or most definitely a Fulltone Bass Drive. That will give you a decent tube sound without the bulk and the fragility.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. Good luck.
  18. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    well i've been considering getting the GK 1001rb-II head but didnt want to take the plunge yet until i got more input, but after hearing all the recommendations i think im going to end up getting that. now the sansamp di pedal im going to check out, but im curious has anyone tried out the GK diesel dawg? any good? i hear its a good overdrive/sustain pedal but the reason im actually considering the sansamp DI is because of the tube emulator. but cab wise im still conflicted. i don't know if i wanna go with 2 4x10, or the 4x10 and 2x12 route. and im still at a loss for what brand im going for. at first i was considering getting a 4x10 and 2x12 avatar cab but im still not sure yet. im only considering getting a higher end cab if i can get it for a good price used.
  19. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    by the way what kind of sound do ampeg cabs get?
  20. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Mesa Boogie 400+ and some older MB Diesel cabs (115 + 410) or two 410 (the Bergantino NV610 would work too).