Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats a good amp for about 700$ that can handle some good lows.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mad_world, Dec 30, 2002.

1. mad_world

mad_world

Nov 3, 2002
    Right now im currently deciding to turn in my fender bassman 100 for something that suits my warwick thumb bass better. I've been looking at ashdown and ampeg. anyone have any suggestions.

2. mad_world

mad_world

Nov 3, 2002
    BUMP

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you can try buying an ampeg svp-pro (pre) and a power amp.

that's what i use. i got a qsc rmx1450. total for both was under $700 and it sounds great.

the model below the rmx 1450 (don't know the model number) is about $75 less.

4. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Peavey Firebass II MSRP $759.95 Street price is lower.

I have used this amp for several years now and it has a good tone and is plenty loud enough with tons of headroom.

Item Specific Features:

700 Watts RMS into 2 Ohms, 475 Watts RMS into 4 Ohms, 275 Watts RMS into 8 Ohms

1/4 inch input jack

Active/passive input select switch

Buffered instrument level tuner send jack

Pre and post gain controls

Bright boost switch

Contour EQ Control

Three-band active EQ with semi-parametric midrange controls

Post EQ effects loop - footswitch controlled

Active crossover with variable frequency control (100 Hz-1 kHz)

Crossover balance control

High and low crossover outputs

Preamp out/power amp in jacks

DDT™ speaker protection circuit with defeat switch

Status LED indicates power on (green) and DDT active/clip (red)

Low noise electronically balanced XLR output

Level control for XLR output

Pre/post switch and ground lift switch for XLR output

Thermal, over-current and DC crowbar protection circuits

Variable speed, temperature controlled fans

Two 1/4 inch jacks (paralleled) for speaker connections

5. mad_world

mad_world

Nov 3, 2002
    Bump... i need more suggestions. keep them coming!

6. my gallien-krueger 1001rb can handle some kickn lows.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't know if you can get an Ashdown amp for less than 700. Then again I haven't really priced them. Are you looking for a combo or what?

If you're looking for a combo then I think an SWR Workingman's 15 would be a nice mate for your Warwick. Nice clear tone and big bottom.

brad cook

8. mad_world

mad_world

Nov 3, 2002
    Yea... im looking for a combo i don't think i could afford any really good rig of the big name brands.

9. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    mad_world, you could go with some used gear.
    Most used amps run 1/3 the original retail price.
    You might take a look on ebay or try musicgoround.
    www.musicgoround.com
    Musicgoround is a chain of music stores that specializes in used gear. I have ordered equipment from several of the stores all shipped to my rural Mississippi home. Rural areas don't have the big music stores with the "good deals" so Musicgoround works well for those of us who live in Rural areas and have limited budgets.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You can get a Workingman's 15 new for 700.

Musician's Friend has them:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...1038241902/search/g=home/detail/base_id/40832

I would go to a retail place though and try to bargain even lower if you want to buy new...or you could always go used as suggested above.

brad cook

11. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    For a combo amp look at the Ampeg b-100r. It is much louder than you would suspect and has a nice thick tone. There have been many threads on this board about it, and they are available for well under $700.

12. The lower the note, the more power you need. For the money you are wanting to spend, the Ampeg svp/QSC is a good option. If you are looking for a all-in-one head for under $700.00 the Carvin Redline III looks pretty good to me.
    http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?CFG=2&P2=R1000&P1=BA

Good luck........ :D

13. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I have an Ashdown Abm500 that is a great amp for the money. I'll selling it to get another set-up. It is in your budget. E-mail me at jefhaley@hotmail.com

14. Check out the GK 1001, it would be great for the budget. (GC has them for about 649)

15. modernday

modernday

Oct 20, 2002
    St. Paul
    Yeah man, Gallien Krueger 1001RB is the way to go. I've had mine for a year now and I still love it.

16. modernday

modernday

Oct 20, 2002
    St. Paul
    By the way, don't buy the amp with the money you have right now. It's always better to save up and get what you really want.

17. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Another vote for GK 1001rb. I've had one for over 3 years. It's a great amp for the price, about the low to mid $700s. Do a search for previous posts on the 1001rb and you'll read many good comments about its power and tone.

18. I couldn't agree more. I bought one after my Basssman 60 went to its great reward. It is louder than you'd expect it to be just by looking at it and it's got a very good tone, more on the vintage side. It's 65 lbs, which is heavier than most other 100 watt 1x15 combos, but I think this is what gives it good bottom: solid construction. You can get them for about $500 and I think they are a VERY good deal for the money. When you consider its size (not too big) its sound and the price, I really don't think you can get a better amp for the money.

The only slight drawback is that there is no provision for an extra cabinet. No biggie. This amp goes plenty loud the way it is.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...8164483452/search/g=bass/detail/base_id/41937

Mike

19. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Come to think of it, Mike J, after looking at the MF link that you posted, I played through one of those Ampegs when I subbed a friend's gig. They put out, and have a nice Ampeg-style tone.

20. 6 rogues. WOAH MAN!!!