What's a good amp for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazzin', Jul 23, 2004.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I recently spoke with my father, and he's letting me get a new amp. I wanna get a combo amp between 100 and 200W. i want a good EQ with at least 4 knobs, or even a whole thing of those sliders. also with a mid-scoop thingy or the equivalent of one. i mainly play jazz, funk, rock, blues, slapping. and its gotta be at MOST 500$. it's also gotta be a good quality amp that can last a long time, with a really good sound to go with my Fender Jazz.
  2. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    You just perfectly described the Ampeg B100R.
  3. Jazzin'

any other amps that i have perfectly described??
  4. SWR Workingman 15....I LOVE mine!
  5. Yorkville XM200. Good price from Musiciansfriend.com (479 dollars) and you probably could find it cheaper in other stores. It sounded pretty good last time I tried it out, and supposedly it's plenty loud
  6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    PeaveyTNT. 7-Band EQ... 150w.... 200w@4ohms... LOUD... Built like a tank, sounds great (i think),,, wide variety of sounds. You can push it and push it, it will not blow. it will fart out and stuff if you push it, but it will never fail you.
  7. Jazzin'

i was looking at that one. it looks really good, but is it good for jazz, funk, blues and popping? cuz it seems to be one of those metal rock type amps.
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Find a used Super Redhead, or something similar. If someone else is bankrolling your new amp, don't piss it away on 100 watts! JMO.
  9. A Peavey Combo 115. 200 watts, 300 watts with an extensions speaker. 7 band EQ, etc. Pretty much all the features of the TNT 115 with more watts. $550 from Musicians Friend.
  10. Jazzin'

i told my dad that i would pay, but since my birthday is in december and so are the holidays. he's probably gonna end up paying for it. so maybe i'll just take advantage of that and get a nice 200 to 300W amp, hehe, even though i dont even need one that strong.
  11. Jazzin'

that PV combo 115 with 200W looks really nice, i like the 7EQ also and all those other EQ switches and knobs next to it also. i'll put it on my list.
  12. Jazzin'

i also have another question...

theres the Peavey Combo115 with 200W and
    theres the Peavey TNT 115 Combo with 200W @ 2ohms and 150W @ 4ohms
    wuts the difference? can someone explain the whole ohm thing to me and why theres a choice of 2 or 4 ohms in the same amp and why not just have it at 2ohms so it can be 200W?
  13. The Peavey TNT Has 150W by itself going to the 4 ohm speaker inside of it that it already has. If you add another 4 ohm speaker cabinet that would make 2 ohms and you would get the full 200W. If you added a 4 ohm speaker to the Combo 115 you would get 300 watts at 2 ohms.
  14. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I you were already going to pay for it before hand, why not go in on it together with your dad and get somthing really nice that you won't need (or want) to replace for quite some time.
  15. Jazzin'

hmm, that would be good. BUT...when i bought my new bass, he actually payed for it and then i told him to take the money out of my bank account, but then he decided not to. and im not gonna carry around hundreds of $$$, so it's just gonna happen again where im gonna tell him to pay for the whole thing and take it out of my account, and then he wont.
    how/where do i add another speaker? its really another whole box with a speaker in it right? im not just adding another speaker cone to the amp combo box right?
  16. Yeah you just add an external speaker cab.
  17. Jazzin'

how much would that cost? approx? like another 100$
  18. like another 300 or so man, I've had the experience of looking at prices, and it seems so much more reasonable to get a really good combo
  19. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    GK-700RB 2x10 or GK-1001 2x10 or 1x15......dont waste your money on anything smaller!