1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's a good amp to complement a Mesa Bass 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jonthebass, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Hey Folks,
    I've got a Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ and would like to get another amp that will compliment the 400+ in terms of different tones available.

As a starting point I've tried a Thunderfunk 750A and liked it.
    Love the idea of an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro, Aguilar DB750, and Gallien Krueger 2001, but never heard any of them.

I think the hybrid route is calling me but would like your thoughts please!
    BTW I run the amp thru Mesa Diesel cabs (4x10" & 1x15") with a all kinds of basses (P's, a J, Stingray, Gibson LP)

'Cheers'
    Jon.

2. Well the 400+ is a nice warm tubey sound, try going after a more high-fi solid state amp to get a blend of both worlds.

3. What you thinking?

4. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I think you could run a preamp into your effects return so as to use your tube power section. There's lots of cool preamps out there.

5. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I gotta recommend the GK 1001RB-II. It will be a nice complement to the 400+, and it can be had for relatively cheap from RMC Audio.

6. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I run a 400+ and a Markbass SA450 and couldn't be happier with the variety of optins offered, both in weight and tone. The SA450 has the parametric tone controls which are not available in the LMII and can be tuned to suit a varety of speaker cabs and basses.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You could stick with Mesa, and try one from the hybrid MPulse line, M6 Carbine, BB750, even a Titan, or for that matter, a Walkabout. Just sayin'.

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Carbine M-6, M-9 or Titan V12?

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    If you want variety, you might find more of that from other brands than sticking with Mesa. I think solid state or hybrid would be a good choice. Genz Benz comes to mind. Excellent tone, flexible and powerful, but sound nothing like a tube amp. When I had my 400+ and Genz 2X10 combo, I found that running both of them gave the overall sound more tight bottom end than the Mesa had on its own.

10. There's certainly a lot of homework to do here!
    Will keep you up to date with my explorations.

JTB

11. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Very good question. I'm in the same shoes and I'm going ahead and getting an ampeg V4!

12. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN

Dec 21, 2007
    Cowtown, USA

I use my 400+ (Thru Ampeg 810) along with an old
    Acoustic 370 (Thru Ampeg 1540) though I get opposite
    results of what you might expect-
    I get a gut-busting clean thump tone thru the 400+ and a
    dirty, nasty, snarly tone thru the Acoustic-
    Indeed the best of both worlds!

I'd suggest a new Acoustic 600 or GK 800rb as well if an
    old 370 is hard to come by.

13. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    i'm gonna bump this because i like this thread.

i just got a v-4! so....i'm expecting that the tubey goodness is going to be different!

14. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    i cycled my 400+ with a Thunderfunk 550b and it was a good complement for sure!

Since the 400+ is very warm and pillowy, have sharp hifi tones from the TF really gave me a broad spectrum to work with

15. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I still have my 400+. A few years ago i picked up an early-90's (all-tube) SVT-II for a diferent/second tone choice. Ive ended up preferring/using the SVT-II most all the time.

16. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Mesa Carbine is a great choice in my opinion- I sold my 400+ last year and bought a Carbine. Would have loved to keep both, but I also have a Mesa D-180 which is an early lower-powered predecessor to the 400+ and decided I didn't need all 3 (the D-180 kills with guitar too, hence choosing it over the 400+).

I had both amps for a month or so, and also found that running the Carbine preamp through the 400+ power amp was really the best of both worlds- super tight, fast, and clear response of the Carbine, but with the huge depth of sound and warmth of the 400+ (luckily this works out similarly with the D-180, just with less headroom). If I had a really good reason to carry around a 6-space rack that weighed as much as girls I've dated, I would have used the 2-amps-together set up without question.

At least for range of different tones vs. having a solid-state backup or something, the Carbine/Thunderfunk and similar more modern and fast sounding heads are where its at in my opinion (vs. the M-pulse and other tubier sounding SS heads). I actually prefer the Carbine now for what I'm doing, but it can't sound anything like my 400+ or vise-versa...

Karl

17. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Well, an ampeg SVT4 would provide subtle counterbalance but a GK 2001RB would be a clever counterpoint but then an El Whappo Grande would be forward-thinking but of course a 60's blackface bassman would be retro cool which brings us to an Acoustic 360 or a Silvertone or a SWR for cleanliness or a Tiesco Del Rey or a Marshall Superbass 100 for distortion or an old GMT for that pawnshop look but while we're at it how about an old 70's solid state Peavey for some real crummy tone or a 70's SVT for cool appeal and good tone or an old solid state Vox for lousy tone and frequent trips to the repair shop which will help you make friends with the tech which is always a good idea or why not a GK 700RBII which will never be in the shop and help you avoid dealing with a potentially dishonest tech or why not a HIWATT (they sound good) or a Fender 400PS (they're rare) wait I have it, get a Peavey VB-2 wait no I read thay have problems ok get a 70's V4B or a Mesa 400+ yeah, that's the ticket a Mesa 400+ for sure no that's maybe not as good as a Marshall Major no that's expensive ok a Trace Elliot those are kind of out of style and can be bought for cheap but wait the fact that they're out of style might make you look uncool so you better get a MarkBass no BOOOOOOORING, that's just what GC is pushing this month so you better go with an Ampeg but wait no Ampeg is made in China and Loud is going belly up so you just might consider Mesa Boogie yeah, no, maybe because I'm thinking 70's Sunn because Entwistle use tham but he did stop using them hmmm ... makes you wonder so a component system using a SansAmp is for sure the best bet but the more you think about that the more complicated it appears so you better go with a combo but combos are kinda lame so that brings us to the Peavey 400 which is a tube monster but why did thay stop making it ... yeah, you're right, transistors are the way but not just any so that about narrows it to a Mesa M1 Carbine or whatever it's called ... that or an Ampeg B25 (ok it's tube but it's an exception) or an Eden World Traveler yup, Ashdown for sure.

18. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    I have a gun and am trying to kill myself with it. Which end do I use? I'm so completely confused now. :bawl:

OBO

19. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    hahaha. well...let us know what you get jon.

20. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA

Works well for me. Alembic F-1X for a hi-fi version of the Mesa/Bassman pre- and the SWR IOD gives me the SWR pristine clean all the way through mud-city.

If it is a backup that you're after, then I'd go for a Thunderfunk or Eden.