Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's a good band (for bass)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ratamahatta, Nov 12, 2003.

1. ratamahatta

ratamahatta Guest

Sep 8, 2003
    selah
    what i mean is, ive been playing for a while and all of the bands that i like have basslines that get boring, im looking for a band with some kool sounding but not too hard bass. Any suggestions?

2. PRIMUS!

Oh wait, you said NOT hard bass

Uh....;)

3. ratamahatta

ratamahatta Guest

Sep 8, 2003
    selah
    well hard as in difficult or hard as in
    dropped down and fast and distorted and all that crap. Im looking for more difficult thatn average and good sounding.

4. Well, if you want simplicity look at Bill Dickens' stuff.

Oh, or John Myung.

Talk about modest bass lines. ;)

5. One man's "Not too hard" is another man's "Nightmare." It's relative to a person's ability.... But anyway...

I cut my teeth on Rush (Moving Pictures, Signals, etc). That was the first stuff that inspired me to play, the first stuff I learned, definitely not boring. Geddy is a master at rock bass (not to mention his singing and keyboard playing :cool: )

FWIW

-bimpy

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Rush stuff, some of its hard, some if it isnt.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    lots of good stuff out there...

try some stuff I've been messing with lately:

Cake
    Spin Doctors
    Blues Traveler
    Jamiroqui
    Lenny Kravitz
    Remy Shand
    Seal

8. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    i would say listen to
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    PRIMUS!

if your into the not as heavy rock music, what i refer to as "rock and roll" then try some Phish, Robert Randolf and the Family Band, Galactic. etc etc

and then of course you should listen to parliament.

I think that about covers it.

9. ratamahatta

ratamahatta Guest

Sep 8, 2003
    selah
    well my music of choice is metal
    but i dont like the bass lines in most metal so i dont play them, i just dont like the way it's mixed in with the guitar.

10. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I found this, you could search for it:

Metallica - Bass Legendary Licks 1983-1988 DVD

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Fleetwood Mac! John McVie is a very tasteful bass player and his lines are not boring at all.

12. genesis6891

genesis6891

May 29, 2003
    Weather Report all the way :)

13. the P0lice

14. The Beatles, few bass lines move like Pauls

15. Talking Heads showed me how a bass line can really make or break the song's groove.

16. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    You might just think I am stereotyping, but you sound like a young bassist who likes metal/punk/hard rock music, correct me if it isn't so.

That was me back in the day too. I used to be a huge grunge fan. Then I discovered bass, and with it came the desire to hear awesome bass lines mixed with hard-core rock.

For this: I would reccommend Primus and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I have also heard Dream Theater is good for this but I have never heard them before.

Eventually, my tastes shifted from hard-rock with good bass lines to anything with good basslines. But Primus and RCHP is still in this catagory.

17. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    The Who, good old-school hard rock

Yes-Chris Squire is the king of rock bass!

Rush-A later Squire, comparable abilities.

Rancid-probably the best punk bassist around.

Radiohead-not too difficult, might not be your style.

Tool-Not as hard as it sounds cause he uses echoes a lot, "Schism" is both fun and relatively easy.

Dream Theater is pretty damn hard to play! Go for it if you want to though.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

When I saw who started this thread, the first thing I thought was "not Sepultura". Heh, awesome song though. Seriously though, there was a thread just a little while ago about metal bassists who do more than root note/play crazy stuff. I might even have started it... here's a few.

Robert Trujillio - Suicidal Tendacies, Infectious Grooves.

Ryan Martinie - Mudvayne (give into the hype, he's all the rage around here). Speaking of rage...

Tim Commoford - Rage against the machine, Audioslave.

Les Claypool - Primus. They border on metal. And a lot of his stuff isn't as hard as it sounds. If your into metal first and foremost, I recommend the Pork Soda album, or maybe even Antipop. They are the metalist Primus albums. :meh:

Trevor Dunn - Mr. Bungle, Fantomas. Fantomas have to be hella metal, Dave Lombardo (Slayer) is their drummer! Mr. Bungle is... Mr. Bungle.

But seriously, metal/agressive music is what I tend to listen to more than anything, but expanding your listening styles really helps your playing. These guys are making some great suggestions. Check 'em all out.

19. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    listening to Mike Gordon from Phish gave me the best idea of feel and pocket of any bassist I've heard. Sometimes very simple but also very complex at times.

20. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The dude from Creed is solid and creative and doesn't always play root notes. Someone already mention Tim from Rage and Audioslave. Unfortunatly in my opinion you may have to get a little old school Sabbath, Zepplin, Beetles, to accomplish this. You can find what you are looking for in more modern music but to get more thoery out of music try some artists like this versus sifting through a bunch of new songs to find some good bass runs.