1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats a good bass compressor for a low budget bassist?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by powmetalbassist, Oct 16, 2010.

1. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. Looking for info on a good bass compressor for around 200-500 dollars. Rack mountable, and as customizable as possible (the more effect knobs the better i suppose). I don't know alot obout compressors, but I'm a finger style bassist looking to cut the heavy and light finger picking I occassionally do into a clean solid sound, without crunching my low end into oblivion. DBX 166xl, and DBX 160a have been suggested to me....thoughts?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Let the "search" function be your friend. In the meantime...

Check this out: http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml

The aforementioned dbx compressors are a good choice and your budget allows a bit of latitude. When I read "budget", I was thinking ~$50.

Riis

3. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    dbx 160 is a very good compressor for cost and tone, just fine tune your settings to your liking 1st then check how it sounds with band, you may need to tweek it a little but it works well. just my opinion...good luck.

4. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Inactive

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Compression should be used VERY sparingly on bass IMO. A simple Boss Limiter/Enhancer for 80 bucks set on the slightest setting works just fine for most any pro situation.

5. I'm STILL in love with my T.C.Electronics Comp. I've had that jewel for y-e-a-r-s.