1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's a good bass distortion pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LimoWreck909, Oct 15, 2001.

1. LimoWreck909

LimoWreck909

Oct 5, 2001
    Recently, I've really been interested in incorporating distortion into my sound, and I tried it with my amp (Peavey TKO 115) and it sounded awful. I'm hoping to someday get a SWR Interstellar Overdrive, but I really can't afford it right now. So, I'm wondering what stompboxes would suffice until then. I'm looking to get a Rage Against the Machine-style distortion sound.

2. Ok.. first of all..

what kind of sound are you seeking to accomplish ?

if you want a sharp, high-rate overdrive ( more mids ), go for the Boss ODB-3, DOD FX91, wooly mammoth, etc..

If you want a numb, low-rate overdrive ( more lows, sounds more like a big engine ), go for the
    Gallien & Krüger Diesel Dawg, DOD FX92 bass grunge ( VERY nice pedal, but hard to get ), E.H. Big muff, etc...

Myself i play with a ODB-3, my sound is 90 % clean with 10 % VERY sharp overdrive.. sounds like a clean bass with an overdriven bass in the distance.. very nice tone for low-B imho :)

3. I've found that distortion pedals can't compair to distortion preamps, I really like the Ampeg svp-bsp. I get really cool sounds dialing in more volume from the clean chanel and less from the overdrive chanel, everything from a really cool hip-hop grease sound to a mild boost. If you don't have the money I suggest the Sans Amp BDDI.

4. LimoWreck909

LimoWreck909

Oct 5, 2001

5. GK Diesel Dawg or Distortion going into compression with gain reduction.