1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's a good bass for 1.2k?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by magir, Apr 13, 2006.

1. magir

magir

Sep 26, 2005
    Singapore
    Hi guys, was just wondering, what would be a good bass to invest 1.2k in? I already own a Stingray 5 and an Ibanez so i'm kinda looking for a bass that will complement these other basses.

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Blade makes an excellent Jazz copy, not unlike Sadowsky/Lull for far less money. IMO, it is the closest I have found to my beloved, but sold 66 jazz. There are a couple of TB'rs with them. Might be tricky to find state side. Just a pure vintage jazz with a killer neck and nitrose finish. I've seen them for around $1,100-1,200 in the USA.

3. steal-o-matic

steal-o-matic

Apr 11, 2004
    Spector makes extremely high quality, beautiful instruments

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

If you are looking for a J type instrument, the Skyline Daryl Jones is close to that price and is just amazing IMO

5. There's a Fender Victor Bailey Jazz in the classifieds for 12. It's loaded with Sadowsky electronics and pickups.

6. Used Warwick Thumbs can go down to that price easily.

New Corvettes Standards are also in that range as well.

I like the idea of having a range of basses where each has its own character, and I can tell you that a thumb would have a much different character than what you've listed that you own.

7. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    G&L L2000/L2500 or a Ric.

8. rhythm

rhythm

Dec 4, 2005
    Spector Euro series. I own a Euro 5 LX and it's an incredible bass.

9. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    So what you have is a Ibanez to handle anything more rock or metal stuff of that sort... You have the Stingray to handle everything from blues to alternative to rock and metal and even funk.

I am not too sure if you want something that plays like both of these basses or something to make your basses more well rounded and to have a bass suitable for everything.

If you want something that is different from your current setup then I would suggest looking into things with the following characteristics... Just suggestions.
    - If you have all 4 string basses, maybe get a 5 or if you have a 5 and a 4 then get a 6?
    - Get a neck through body?
    - Maybe get a bass with a maple fretboard instead of ebony.?
    - Opt for the exotic woods and get something of that nature?

Get something that you dont have yet.
    I would say Spector or Warwick basses would do the job...
    Warwicks have a unique "growl" to them and they are applicable for all genres pretty much and are quality instruments. Some people love them or hate them but it is ultimately up to you.
    They:
    - use woods not like what you have already Bubinga, Ovankgol, Wenge, Afrezalia, etc...
    - come in neck throughs (or bolt ons for less $$)
    - active basses
    - come in 5 and 6 strings
    - unique tone... unlike what you currently have.

So go and get a Thumb Bolt on or neck through and you will love it! Try before you buy though.

10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I love my Peavey Cirrus. In that budget, you could find an incredibly beautiful one used.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    New, I'd say that the Lakland Skyline's (especially the Darryl Jones and Joe Osborns) are pretty darn good for the money. If you were going to look used, you could have tons of options, but I would look for Skjolds, for sure.

Tom.

12. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    So what you have is a Ibanez to handle anything more rock or metal stuff of that sort... You have the Stingray to handle everything from blues to alternative to rock and metal and even funk.

Get a Warwick maybe?
    they are different from what you own...
    - Exotic woods like bubinga, ovankgol, wenge, afrezalia, etc...
    - wood color not painted
    - unique tonal characteristics give you a growl and bite to your stuff
    - comes in 5 or 6 strings and bolt on or neck through...

Try a Warwick Thumb bass or thumb bolt on...

13. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

+1 here.
    Great bass!! Even with the stock electronics and pick-ups.

14. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    If you don't know what you want, why are you looking to just blow a grand??? Why not wait until you have a real need, and in the meantime enjoy the couple basses you have and save the money for what you need, which may not be a bass??

Sorry, I know this is unpopular here, maybe.

I gas like the rest of you guys, but if I don't have a specific use/need for a big purchase in mind, I don't go buy it.

Edit:
    Looking at your profile, you are in much more need of a decent amp than another bass.

Why do you need 3 basses right now? Especially if you don't even have a decent rig to play through?

15. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    +1, I love mine too :D.

16. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    my new ww thumb wasn't too much above that. I would expect a used to be well below that, assuming it was a bolt on, not neck-thru...

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Good call on the Cirrus. And speaking of Warwicks, I find the Corvette Standards to be stupid good for the money.

Tom.

18. I agree with the Ric suggestiong, if your into their feel. Some people can dig the really thin, shorter neck, some cant, but no matter what the tone is amazing.

Warwicks (I am biased here, as I hate them) I just can't reccomend. Yes, they get good tone, but the feel is just off. They are rediculusly heavy (my local shop as a warwick standard that clocks in at almost 17 pounds, that WAY too much.), the necks are huge, and most of the models just dont sit right on your lap.

I HIGHLY reccomend the Cirrus suggestion (again, I am biased, as I love them). The necks are awsome (for me), really thin from fretboard to back, making it super fast and comfortable. They get great tone, especially the new USA models with the Mellinnium preamp equipped. And they are beautiful.

All in all, you have to try everything out before you make a descision. Each of these is all very different in feel and tone, and its just about finding whats for you. If you've got larger hands, and want a bulky neck, give Warwick a shot. If you want a thinner and faster neck, check out the Cirrus, etc, etc. Good luck man.

19. MO542

MO542

Jan 6, 2006
    Nashville
    +1 for the Thumb
    Last week I purchased a Thumb BO for $850 (mint) in the classifieds section. I love that bass. I would try one out at GC though, because it is not everyone’s cup of tea, but it is prefect for me.

20. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Since I seem to be the only one noticing, I'll be more explicit.

According to your profile, you have 2 perfectly fine basses, and your rig consists of a 30W practice amp. Why in the world would you even think of getting a 3rd bass before getting an amp/cab/rig that would allow you to play with other people outside of your bedroom??? You could do pretty well in that department for $1K