1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's a good bass for $300 and under?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ticktock, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Ticktock

Ticktock

Sep 3, 2003
    Electric, of course. With frets. Probably 4-string. I've been playing with my friend's acoustic-electric bass, but I think I'm ready to make the jump to my own personal electric. So what's the recommendation? What exactly do active electronics allow me to do? Are they really necessary, or just helpful? Fire away, folks.

2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Essex would be a good Noob Bass...

But I would strongly suggest buying USED.

I got My Lakland (VERY GOOD BASS) used for $600 opposed to New for $1100...

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    For under 300 your best bet is the Ibanez GSR 200. They're amazing starter basses and they have decent tone and play real nice. Active electronics in that price range are gonna absolutely suck, no question about it. But, on more expensive basses they'll offer you a wider range of sounds you can get from the bass itself with less EQing, and they also tend to give you a brighter sound that some people love. It all depends on the bass though, some passives have more range than some active and vice versa. Buy what sounds and feels good my man and you can't go wrong.

4. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    It depends on what you're looking for. Good tone? Good feel? Reliable? Cool-looking? Something that has the classic Fender look? Pretty colors? Something light? Heavy?

Just watch the quality-control on the cheap basses. I had to go through 3 Squires to get a good one, and even it had loose screws.

Squire & Ibanez both make good cheap basses, but again, especially with Squire, be SURE to look it over before you buy:
    * Do all the knobs work?
    * Loose screws?
    * Fret-buzz? (Check each string at each fret)

Good setup (action) and good strings on a good cheap bass can give surprisingly good results. The trick is to "try before you buy", and not get a dud.

5. my first bass, that i still own, is a samick 4 string p-bass copy, it has the sound of a fender, and solidly built with 1st class electronics and i got it for $175

6. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I've heard lots of good things about the OLPs. BTW, I'll second the Squier P-Bass Infinity (once you find one that's not broken)...

7. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Take into account that he most likely needs an Amp/Cable's.

I take this as...

"I need an amp, and a good bass for under $300"

He could go buy the Squire Pack, or The Ibanez Pack, But I think he should get an essex, a Little Fender practice amp.

8. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    Good point. When I first started playing again last year (after 20 years), I couldn't believe how bad those little amps are. With the bass turned up, they sound like farting (raspberries?).

When getting started, the amp that would satisfy my (Fender Bassman 200) cost more than the bass...

9. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Victor Litz in MD is blowing out their last two Dean Rhapsody 4-strings, one solid and one semi-hollow, for $199 (because they're like this odd Puce color). I want an Amberburst one, the semi-hollow is awesome.

I'd agree with OLP (the musicman variety) if you play every one of them and pick the one that is the best for you. Consistency seems to be low there. Heavy sumbitches just like their "real" cousins too.

And don't discount Schecter, either. Their Stiletto series looks and sounds great - I only returned mine because it and my amp didn't play nice together (hum/buzz), but i think that to have been a fluke that other units probably don't share. I think the "Deluxe" level is about 300-odd bucks.

10. every squier affinity p ive played ive hated, they have horrible tone, just plain nasty, although i bet theres plenty good ones out there too.

I would say essex, even tho ive not played one.
    I just got a used epiphone rockbass (j- cousin of the accubass) for 125. Really good tone, and cheap, and really looks vintagey. Is vintagey a real word? Ive not likedany olps, but there's supposedly some good ones out there too.
    Good luck.
    Oh BTW, i hate the ibanez gsr-200s. But, again, theres supposedly some good ones of them too.
    Essex BG180 is a p-j tho, and its only 99 bucks.

11. Yamaha. Active electronics, 24 frets, great quality....back of the net!

12. that was really repetitive
    i think that was really repetitve
    i think ive said it before but, i think it was repetitive. :D

13. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    My bass is a good bass. Shameless self promotion, but this is a kick ass bass!

ATK 300 (Koa Top) MIJ

14. Ticktock

Ticktock

Sep 3, 2003
    Don't worry about the amp for now. All of that $300 is to go towards a bass.

15. the ibanez ATK's are really nice basses. those and Peavey T-40's are probably the best deals on good basses for around $300

other than that you could look at ibanez soundgears or essex stuff at rondo music. I'd stay away from fender squire stuff. the mexican made stuff is great but anything under that is not so good.

16. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN