Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats a good bass for beginners?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RATM, Nov 9, 2005.

1. RATM

RATM

Nov 9, 2005
  2. Not knowing what kind of music you play, or what your amplification needs are, here is my humble opinion.

I'd say if you're just looking at having a practice amp for around the house, and don't really need the wattage, maybe look at the Alesis Bassfire for the same coin.

I've never tried one personally, but I think the digital EQ/ effects section would have enough cool stuff to satisfy someone starting out. If I had any use for something that small, I'd grab one.

I've tried several of those BX1200 amplifiers, and they personally didn't do it for me. They're "twangy" which is good for a lot of things, but not really good for bass. A lot of it has to do with that aluminum speaker, which doesn't have a lot of bottom end. The preamp section isn't very versatile either. No matter how much I tweaked, I just couldn't get rid of the nasal-sounding frequencies.

Honestly, I've gotten more even and warm sounding frequencies out of a Peavey Microbass, and we're talking about 6 times the wattage.

Anyhow it's just an opinion. If you can get your hands on one, screw around with it, and see if it suits your needs. And don't be afraid to play things that are a little out of your price range, that way you can get a feel on what sounds appeal to you, and how easy (or difficult) it would be to get your sound out of that amp.

And now will come the masses preacing the need to save money and the values of used gear. :D

3. Personnally I would stay away from Behringer. The only place that you can get them repaired is New York according to
    Behringer. They will not give any info out to regular service tech's.

4. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I have no opinion on this amp, I have never played it.

I think you may find a better deal if you go used in that price range though.

But, to my reason for posting.

If you do decide to buy that amp, buy it from samedaymusic.com

they have it for the same price(wait, sorry, theirs is $200 where zzounds is 199.99 :D )

But the difference is, zzounds return policy is 30 days

samday's is 60 days

for a penny more....I think it's worth it...

5. Don't buy new gear. You lose your ass at resale.

:D

As a new bassist, without a doubt you will be trading/upgrading your gear as your skills improve. Used gear typically brings 66% of new, discount price. This is a very generic rule of thumb and does vary significantly. Sticking to 66% will mostly guarantee recovery of your investment when it comes time to sell.

Avoid the Behringer stuff. They have a nasty reputation as a corporate intellectual property pirate, there are customer service nightmare stories, and B word gear has a stigma that makes it hard to resell later. If you must have B word gear, buy it used.