1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

whats a good bass for me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blind401, Dec 9, 2006.

1. blind401

blind401

Dec 9, 2006
    hey guys... basically im a guitar player i have alot of experience in guitar and im getting a bass now to play it in another band. i havent tried many basses in real life except those starter ibanez ones... my guitar right now is a fender american strat deluxe so i dont want something TOO similar to it

basically i want to be able to play stuff like red hot chili peppers (i love their bass lines) and also what i usually play which is metal like trivium and killswitch engage, etc. i will be slapping/popping as well as walking or fingering or whatever its called on bass =p

my budget is 200 to 300 dollars, the more i spend the crappier an amp ill be getting though but thats the least of my worries.

some basses i was looking at are trabens, peavey even though its kind of ugly, some ibanez's, OLPs that resemble the stingrays, and the squier jazz bass. however this is just observation as i have not touched or heard any of these so i thought i'd ask the experts. i am going to be playing with a band on stage and i play alot so i really need a good buy.

thanks alot in advance :)

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Assorted random advice:

Check the stickies at the top of the basses forum. :cool:

Go play basses, as many as you can, at as many stores you can find. Keep in mind most will not be set-up very well. Forget about price for now. Go taste stuff. That way you can tell which lower cost basses play and sound the most like the fancy ones. :smug:

Watch some basses on ebay and see what they go for. It will give you a chance to see a lot of basses and see what people are willing to pay for them---and which ones hold their value better. Used basses are also sold by lots of very knowledgable musicians here on TalkBass

Some low-end basses sound good, many don't (IMHO), and with all basses, as with guitars, each one is unique. You can't be sure until you have played any given instrument a fair amount, as you know.

That said, I have bought basses on ebay and the internet without playing them first, and have been very lucky. However, since you are new to this, I really think playing as many as you can is very important. Everyone's taste and needs are unique, only you can figure out yours. Good luck and welcome to TalkBass! :D

3. blind401

blind401

Dec 9, 2006
    thanks alot, those are some very good ideas

while im checking out myself though id still like to hear others opinions :)

4. Lowend65

Lowend65

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I have an EBM-5 that with it's narrow string spacing would probably be a dream for a guitarist
    For sale... eh eh

5. blind401

blind401

Dec 9, 2006
    i cant find anything called an emb5 on the internet =p

6. You say you like to play some Flea lines and some heavy metal. I would suggest a bass with Humbucker or "H" style pickups, its the same thing with 2 different names. Also maybe something with P-pickups. Look at a Precision Bass to know what a P-pickup is, I cant think of any guitars that come with those, probably just a bass thing.

You also say you want opposite of strat. Strats are paint coated, old school styled, thin necked, slab produced guitars. The almost opposite of that is Warwick. They use exotic woods, most are naturally finished, and they are carved to the contour of a body(not flat). You can find used Corvette standards for just a little more than you listed.

7. blind401

blind401

Dec 9, 2006
    a warwick is definitely not in my budget, sadly :(

i dont really need the opposite of a strat. id settle for a diff colored jazz bass, im just not sure whats better a jazz bass or a p bass for what i want. i really like the look of the stingray but i dont know of any similar kinds of that style in my price range

8. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    if you are looking for the stingray stile, try OLP

I have never owned one, but the price for the ones I have played seem fair.

9. build your own!!! theres a bunch of help at luthiers corner! it only takes a few weeks if you buy all the parts first, not as hard as you'd imagine..plus when ur done it feels great to know its one of a kind

10. blind401

blind401

Dec 9, 2006
    bump

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147

It's a typo in the gear sig. It should be EBM-5. It was a nice epiphone 5-string with a fender p/j pickup config. I think they are sort of rare. :cool: