Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's a good bass for pickin' ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brock29609, May 24, 2003.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Many basses ergonomically don't work well with picks. Pickups get in the way, etc. What's the best bass for pickers?

2. My Ibanez BTB is great for picking. And I have played a lot of Music Man's that work well for picking, Spector is a good choice too.

3. first of all, i'd say that if pickups get in your way, you have to reexamine your technique. i often play right over my bridge pickup and it doesn't interfere.

but if you want to avoid that anyway it's still relative to the player. if you like to pick by the bridge, get a precision. if you like to pick in the middle, get a stingray. or you could get a piezo or lightwave bass and pick anywhere ya please.

4. Right on.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I use a pick on all of my basses... Fender J's and a p, lakland skyline, olp stingray... don't have any problems here!

P@

8. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    Absolutely. The bridge cover on my Jazz makes it a good picker as well. I need a place to rest my hand- poor technique I guess :)

FatCity

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    When I do use a pick, I'll usually play my Jazz Reissue. I tend to pick right at the end of the fretboard, and rest my hand on the neck pickup cover. Gets a very nice Joe Osborn-y tone with little to no clickiness.

But, I can certainly use the pick on any of my basses. I'm not quite sure how the pickups could even get in the way. :confused:

I'm currently working on my pick technique for my 8 string fretless. :eek:

That's been fun... :bassist:

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I suppose if brock there holds the very end of his pick, and plays right over the pickups, he might be hittin (and I mean hitting) the pups with the tip of his pick. Not that that's good technique by any stretch of the imagination, but that might explain why he thinks the pups get in the way.

11. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Of the basses I've owned, oddly enough, the Cirrus 5 was the easiest to pick, followed by the SR5. For me, easy picking is a function of how my hand rests on the bass.

12. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I've never had a hard time playing basses with a pick, and I almost always play with a pick. And I'm all over the neck, and all the strings I happen to have at my disposal. So, ergonomically, I don't know.

But, sound-wise, I think Wals just beg to be picked. But, I'll agree with Ricks, too.