Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's a good Bass guitar Bridge to buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigbasscal, Apr 27, 2004.

1. bigbasscal

bigbasscal

Apr 27, 2004
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good after market Bass Bridge to upgrade my Precision bass. I pretty much want an affordable Bridge that is reliable, better clarity in terms of sound, and good sustain.

I've only heard of the Leo Quan Bad Ass bridge and read some reviews on it, but want to know what else is out there?

thanks!

Cal

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I like Hipshot's bass bridge. That thing looks solid as a tank!

3. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    I'll second the Hipshot!
    My Kinal is fitted with a Style-A Hipshot, and it's great. Very solid. Haven't broken a string with it (EVER), and the adjustable spacing is a nice bonus too.

4. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    yes! didn't you know the US army uses hipshot brigdes as armor plating? :D ;)

5. Gotoh 201.

just as solid as the badass but about $40 less, and the saddles are already set to have strings on them. no filing!

alot of people here have them and they are on both of my J-Basses.

direct fit and take about 5 minutes to do the work.

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    One more vote for Hipshot hardware.

7. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    Whatever happened to Wilkinson bridges...I thought they were the stuff. :ninja:

8. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah i've heard good things about Wilkinson bridges, they seem to be really nice bridges too, plus I suppose it's a bit different too, I rarely see them used on basses.

9. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Is it just me or do Fender stock bridges look kind of naked/plain? Maybe that's why so there are so many choices.

10. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Hipshot all the way

11. ABM also makes great bridges.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

My Personal Favorites are Hipshot and BADASS bridges, they are some solid hardware.

13. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I'll 2nd that! ABM bridges are great. Hipshot bridges are also great. I prefer the Type "A" because it allows string spacing adjustment and the saddles lock down. The ABM bridges also have these features. What ever brand you get, I'd go with top string load.

14. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For what it's worth:

I've got 3 of the Schaller roller bridges and like 'em well enough I've had no need to look further. Picked the first one up cause I had a set of Reflex PJs and the stock bridge wouldn't pick up the E on the J pup so I needed something with a lateral adjustment. I used another Schaller to move the strings in on a bass to set it up for flatpicking. The last one I got had a spacer plate on the bottom - which I didn't even know they made cause the other two didn't come with them. That spacer is the only thing that allowed me to install an MM Sterling 3 coil in a bass without routing it for that 3rd coil that sticks out the bottom of the pup. Was $30 shipped.

Another plus that comes to mind is I play Ibanez basses, I can pull those Schallers when it's time to sell the basses and the stock bridge can go back in place and you'd never know another bridge was installed unless you removed the stock bridge because the screw holes fit within the outside dimensions of the stock bridge. So I can either sell the Schallers or stick them on another bass and I'm out no change for an upgrade I'd never get a return on.

15. I agree, ABM's are great (here's the website BTW www.abm-mueller.com) , but I can't say anything about hipshots.

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    ETS Tuning Fork, e.g. on Marleaux's basses.