Whats a good bass soloist CD?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by fatrhino, Oct 2, 2000.

1. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    I want a bass CD done by a bass soloist. Whats a good one? I also want some Jaco. Did Jaco do any solo CD's? If so which would you suggest for my first one? Is there a good CD with different Soloists on it, a compilation? I know nothing about this kind of stuff so if anyone could help me out I would apreciate it. I want to expand my knowledge of the bass and i think hearing this stuff will aid in my musical creativity. Thanks.
  2. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    ill suggest listen to mike watts album, ball hot or tugboat, or mike watts other album, comtemplating the engine room
  3. Not too much out there with just bass alone, But Jaco's first album with Donna Lee and portrait of tracy is a good first choice. Also Victor Wootens' "A show of Hands" (No, you can't have my autographed copy!!! :p )
    Also, Bass/Contrabass with Steve bailey and Victor. Jeff Berlin did some good work on "Crossroads" (the Jeff Berlin album,not Clapton),or for some great Duet stuff, try Rob Wasserman (Duets)or Joe Pass and NHOP (chops).
  4. The definitive work, as suggested by Reedo35, is Jaco's solo album "Jaco Pastorius". It has a large photo portrait of Jaco on the cover. It was recorded in 1976 on the Epic label.
  5. Victor Wooten's "A Show of Hands" is a pure solo bass album. Every song is recorded on one bass with no overdubs.

Another artist you might want to check out is Michael Manring. He uses effects like the e-bow and phrase samplers to create loops. He also plays some solo compositions on one, two, and three basses all at the same time in one take!

I think that playing a bass solo and playing solo bass are completely different. A lot of times, techniques like two-handed tapping are heavily utilized in solo bass, whereas a typical band setting doesn't necessarily call for a lot of tapping, even when taking a solo. So even though Victor Wooten still sounds like Victor Wooten in whatever he does, you can hear the different sides of him between his solo playing and his ensemble playing.

Jaco's first album must be checked out. It was "the" album that changed bass forever. I was born the year it was recorded, so I was born into bass after Jaco. I wonder, though, how it felt for a bass player back then to actually hear that album for the first time!
  6. Alexssandro, I'll tell you how it felt. Totally demoralizing one minute, absolutely awe inspiring the next, and uplifting the next. It really began to show the extent to which the instrument could be taken. I learned of the record (yep, vinyl!) from a fellow bass player that had yanked all of his frets out of his bass. He says "You just gotta listen to this cat called Jaco Pastorius" I did and immediately went out and traded my maple fretted for a maple fretless for my P bass.

I heard that Marcus Miller said that when the album came out it stayed on his turntable for an entire year!
  7. If you're talking about somebody playing solo bass then check out Michael Manring's "Book of Flame". If, OTOH, you're talking about something with the bassist as a featured soloist in a group then I've really been getting into Gary Willis' solo CD "Bent". Gary Willis is the bassist in Tribal Tech. His playing totally knocks me out. I like Wooten, but I get bored listening to his solo stuff. Gary Willis, for me, is inspiring. He has a great website too: The Willis Site. Check it out.
  8. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    anyone know where to get free cd's online???
  9. loui

Sep 10, 2000
    I think Jaco was best in Weather Report and they have made a CD called "The Jaco Years". Jaco plays some great solos on this CD but it's not a solo album. If you are up to acustic jazzy blues, you should try a CD by Ray Brown called "Superbass". It's 3 upright basses that play blues and there's some really good solowork there too. Sometimes it's a little messy with all these deep notes but it shouldn't keep you from buying this CD. I learned most of my basic blues-licks from this CD.
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    With such a small number of solo bass CDs on the market, we have to count every single one. No one's mentioned UCROSS, by Dean Peer. It is considered the most advanced use of harmonics on an electric bass (maybe on any instrument, for that matter). The compositions are really inspired, but it's a hard recording to find. Michael Manring's Unusual Weather also has some cool solo bass pieces as well as some ensemble compositions which are inspired and inspiring.

I'm moving this thread to Recordings now.

Will C.:cool:
  11. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    For bass heavy (with lots of solo bass stuff) compilations, check out http://www.hotwire-bass.de - there are 6 volumes of bass compilations there!!!!

And for solo bass albums check out, er, who's that guy in the ask the pros forum??? Oh, er, me! All live, all just be (except one duet with a pianist)

Also, check out Michael Dimin's music - great solo bass.

For more info, check out the solo bass network - http://www.steve-lawson.co.uk/solobassnetwork.htm - there are links there, and you can sign up for the mailing list...