What's a good bass to start with??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crash McLarson, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Crash McLarson

Crash McLarson

Jul 23, 2001
    I'm a beginner. What should i buy to start with?
  2. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    you should start with a filled out profile. Those things are really helpful to yourself when you want some info. You also may like to state how much you are willing to spend and what types of music you would like to play. Here's my advice:
    • get a bass you like
    • get a bass you can afford
    • get a bass you can play, or will be able to play, so when you start out don't get a 7-string fretless with no lines
  3. I would go with what PortraitofTracy said. Just get a bass that is comfortable to play, and in your price range. I started with a Squier P-Bass, and is the most fitting bass, and comfortable one I have come accross. I still even play it at my band's shows...but choose a bass that is right for you. Don't be afraid to spend a little extra money to get a good one, but don't go over to much!
  4. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I thought it was a rite of passage that everyone had to own a POS squire atleast sometime during the beginnig of their bass experience?

Really though... i'm a fan of my squier p-bass. I played it for 2 years before i coud afford the ones i have now and it really did the job. My friend has one of the lower level ibanez basses, and of the other entry-level basses out there, i'd have to cast my vote for the squier precision 4.
  5. I wouldn't buy a Squier they suck to me.
    I would buy a used good bass first.
    I myself bought a 1991 Charvel/Jackson Eliminator Bass
    Which was a pretty damn good one back then.
    It cost me 150 and it's badass I think you should do the same.
    Just don't buy an entry-level to me it's very hard to work with.
  6. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    if you were going for a Squire, i would look into a used mim jazz or precision. But who knows, you may prefere a Squire. I've seen MIM fenders lower than $100. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you find a bass you like, you should look around, ask around, post wanted adds on the internet, etc. Find the best deal if you want to, or you could get what ever you want brand new, extremely quickly.
  7. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I never had i squire, i actually wish i had a squire when i first started. Man that yamaha was one POS. My yamaha makes a squire look like a freaking pre-cbs fender.
  8. I agree with the Squier P bass. And when you get another, better bass, you can do whatever you want to the Squier. I just painted mine white. Im thinking Im going to upgrade the electronics soon. And a new bridge. Its not as though the Squier will fall apart or electrocute you. Its a good bass for the $130-$150 one can pay for it.