Whats a good begginer/ intermediate, bass that will last me?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Nekro_Shane, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Nekro_Shane

Oct 11, 2004
    Im looking to get a double bass for playing rockabilly and psychobilly. and i dont know any bassist who play that style, or any for that matter, haha.

So if i could get some information on good fairly inexpensive models that i will last me a good amount of time for about $1000-$1400 that would be awesome!!!!

Thanks alot, Shane
  2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Here are a coupla good places to start your research:

- The newbie links right here on TalkBass: You'll find that within each category, such as "Basses," there's a sticky post entitled "Newbie Links." Read 'em. Almost everything you need to get to gears moving...

- www.rockabillybass.com : THE source for rockabilly / psycho players. Great message board with friendly, helpful members.
  3. Not that it is impossible, but you are shooting way low with the money you are talking about. Just decent strings for these things are at least $100 from discount suppliers. In the price range you gave, you are looking at maybe a Strunal or similar instrument. Most folks recommend the Czech instruments over the Chinese. You might find an old Kay bass or a used Englehardt in that range. These are all going to be laminate tops. The lowest priced new 3/4 bass from Lemur (which has an ebony fingerboard) is a little higher than what you quoted, so don't expect a great deal in either craftsmanship or materials for the price range you quoted. My bass, which is a Czech laminated model with no ebony, is well constructed so it will last a good while without coming apart, but the sound leaves much to be desired. If you could find a functional but not real pretty used bass in this category, it might meet your needs, but really twice as much would get you so much more, particularly in terms of good sound. :meh:
  4. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    king bass, they make some nice uprights. they even have a flame paint job and for the headstock, for an extra price, you can give them a design and thye will carve it out. example:
    www.kingdoublebass.com go to instruments then go to custom shop. they have like 4 pics. i believe the bassist for the living end plays a king.
  5. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
  6. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    My first upright was an Engelhardt ES-2 (plywood aka laminated) I bought used for $ 800.00. I added a K&K BassMax pickup purchased from Bob Gollihur. It was all I needed to start playing out.

I sold the bass for a Christopher 402, but, if I had the bread and space woulda/shoulda kept the Engelhardt. It was solid as a rock (to take the abuse of traveling) and sounded pretty good. Actually, I did a session with nice recording gear. The ES-2 sounded great.

It's ugly as sin, but, hell, you'll probably paint yours doing that PsychoBilly stuff. Look for a plywood (or laminated) bass like Engelhardt that can take abuse.

My Christopher is carved. One good bump and it'll crack.

My 2 centime.