1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's a good bottom for a GK 400rb

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by moonbass, Aug 10, 2007.

1. moonbass

moonbass

Aug 10, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I want to go light weight to be able to deal with NYC subways. i'm using a GK 400RB head and further down the road i want to change to a Walter Woods but for now i want a light cabnet to go with the 400RB. curently i'm using a bogie bottom and it's just too big to take on the subway. i play mostly jazz type music. I want something light but with a good sound. Any ideas. Thanks.

2. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    I generally take cabs to all my gigs in NYC. I know that might not be too much help to you, but I really hate to sacrifice my sound by using something small and under powered just for the sake of taking the subway.

Most companies make a single 10" speaker. I know my company FBA does, and I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

I just know for my thing, it's better to take a cab if you live in the city, and your gig is in the city. The less you compromise your sound, as hard as that might be sometimes, the better.

Easy,

Janek

3. moonbass

moonbass

Aug 10, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well thanks a lot for the advive to take a cab or use a 10inch Fender amp. I know there's a lot of newer stuff out there and being kind of dense i thought someone could give me clue to the right direction. I've heard of newer cabnets like Acoustic Research and Epifeny ( i'm sure that's not the correct spelling) to name two i've heard of. Anybody have any sugestions?

4 strings...one for every day of the week

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I've got to agree with Janek that sacrificing tone for extreme portability is not the best route. For me tone's as important as the notes. For years I had some nice basses (Music Man, Alembic, Peavey Cirrus) but I was using substandard amps/speakers and couldn't get the tone I heard in my head.

I have an '87 400RB and I'd highly recommend a Euphonic Audio Wizzy 1x12 cabinet. It's a small, 29-pound, efficient 4 ohm cab. It has a rich, detailed tone with lots of mids, and handles a low B well. The whizzer cone projects clear high-end, even when you're standing right next to/above it on a cramped stage. Works equally well for both bass guitar and upright, matches up great with the GK.

5. moonbass

moonbass

Aug 10, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks Winston, that's the specific kind of answer i wanted. Anybody have any other ideas? I just came back from a gig and cabfare was $55 roundtrip!

6. I just bought an Eden 1x12 some time ago as an alternative to my 4x10 for smaller gigs (jazz in most cases, but I even did some louder pop stuff with it) and so far it's been great. It's not the lightest one around, but close enough for me, the cabinet is small so it fits in the trunk of my car (or a cab's trunk), smaller then a 2x10. The tone is very round and defined, with enough bottom as far as I'm concerned. It's also reasonably priced, so I can recommend it.

7. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    EA recently came out with a 1x10" Wizzy cab and a backpack like bag to carry it in. Reviews have been good so far for DB if you play bright BG then might not have all the highend you want. No tweeter and range is 45-5.5khz, but 4ohms handles 250w, 18lbs and about the size of a milk crate.

I'm debating between getting it or the 12" Wizzy already mentioned by Winston.