Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats' a good CAB for my GK400RB?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by capalito, Aug 31, 2003.

1. capalito

capalito ----

Dec 27, 2002
    I own an Epifani 112 and I have been looking for the right amp for it. I tried stewart/alembic combination, and even the walter woods. They all sound to bright! I think it has to do with the cabinet also cause even with the tweeter off this Epifani is way too bright for my taste, it can sound very loud if you gaot a powerful amp though. I returned the walter woods.
    I own a GK MB200 (the old version of the MB150) that sounds great but is to small for loudder gigs. I want that sounds but bigger. Im thinking of buying a GK400 RB (200W) but I would need a cabinet that does not suck so much power like the Epifani.
    any advice?

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I've always like the sound of GK heads with Ampeg Classic series cabs. One of their 1x15s would probably work if you want something not so bright.

3. cwbassist

cwbassist

Aug 23, 2003
    illiniois
    I'm thinking of getting a 400 rb head with a set of 2 aguilar gs112 cabs, someone I know used a 400 rb with just one so I'm thinking why not double the fun?

4. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I owned a GKRB400III but it was underpowered for gigging.

6. Exedore

Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA
    Really? I own one and don't have much trouble playing out. In my old band I sometimes had trouble cutting through 2 guitarists playing Mesa Boogie triple rectifiers but that's what PAs are for...

7. This is a huge picture. :cool:

I gar-on-tee it vill sound jummy. I've heard this combination before and it was ((((mmmmm)))) good.[​IMG]

8. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I heard the 400 through an SWR Triad. I thought it was fantastic sounding.

9. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

I have an Aggie GS112 and an eden 1x15(put the horn in myself). The 400RB works very well with either of them. The Eden's rated at 200@8ohms, and the aggie @ 300. Both work in a small setting w/ drummer without issue... I do have to say two things though... I'm running an aggie 659, and its much smoother and less bright than the GK, and the extra power of a power amp(360x2@8ohms) definitely makes these cabs sing even more...

...but the 400RB w/ the aggie is a very impressive small setup...

10. Naturally you'll want to pair it up with a GK 410SBX, or maybe a 210/115SBX configuration. Jimmy Earl is now using the SBX cabinets as is Robben Ford's new bass player, Dewayne Pate. The SBX cabinets are designed to be warm and tight.

11. J the D

J the D

Mar 22, 2002
    Bradenton, FL
    I run my 400 RB into an Eden CXM-112 cab with the coaxial tweeter. A rather efficient 200 watt 8 ohm 1x12 cab that does a good blend between the punch of a 10 and the fundamental of the 15.

12. I play GK400RB-III through an Eden D210-XLT. GK sounds "fast" Eden sounds "sweet" so it is a nice combo. Although the wattages are well matched, turning up the head too much makes the cabinet distort horribly. It is not a super-loud setup. Like, it wouldn't work for metal. But otherwise, it is great. Very portable, works for 5-string, loud enough for non-meathead bands. On a large stage sometimes, you may need to put the bass through the monitors, which will make the soundman look at you funny.

13. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    yeah, me too. It farted at louder volumes because I needed more power, love the GK's though.

14. I think GK's sound great with Hartke cabs. They match up well as far as power goes. I agree about the 240watts not covering all situations. I think it is just easier to have a little more amp than to try to convince 2 guitarist and a drummer to tone it down. I have an 800rb,(It is for sale-shameless plug)

Same tone more power & amping options. GK is great clean stuff, but try to match it with the right cabs. Hartke 4.5xl sounded the best for me.