1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's a good cab to go with an ampeg v4?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stompin Tom, Sep 9, 2008.

1. A friend of mine recently gave me his dead V4 (non-master version). From my investigations with my trusty multimeter, I suspect the only problem is failing filter caps (they look original!).

Once I get it up and running I'll want to get a cab for it. I was looking for recommendations from those of you who use (or have used) v4s for bass... what sounds good to you?!

2. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I don't have one, but I know the Berg NV610's are really well loved here.

3. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    I used mine for years with an early 70's SVT 8x10. It sounded great. I got to old to want to move it and gave it to a needy local bassplayer. I can't think of any cab that would sound better with the V4.

4. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    I have the V4B sitting on top of an Ampeg 810E cabinet and could not like my tone better.

5. Dear god. I'm not sure I can take lugging around a refrigerator... I've always been a 15 man with SS amps... though when I used to use my old univox tube head I liked it through 10s. Helped with the looseness in the lows.

Anyone ever use it with the 4x12 cab it originally came with? How about a neo 2x12?

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Orange 15" ;)
    000_0147.

7. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Couple of us around here use Avatar 212 neo's with our V4's. Here's mine.

IMG_1425.

8. Cool rigs! Any chance you've compared v4 tones through different cabs?

That avatar 212 has caught my attention in the past. Do you get enough lows with that thing at a decent volume?

Does the 15 cut in the mix?

9. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
  10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I like pretty much anything sealed. The first cabs I used it with was my 610HLF and my Henry the 8x8 but I sold both of those and now I use a 70's ampeg 4x10 which is basically the early 70's fridge cut in half (sealed, tweeter-less).
    [​IMG]

But I have also used it with my drummer's early 70's fridge which makes this amp sound massive.
    m_e6427b949e69d9abf16dcaa4aaddbc38.