Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's a good cheap Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Noah-Fecks, Sep 15, 2000.

1. Noah-Fecks

Noah-Fecks

Sep 13, 2000
    Scotia, NY
    <p><font size="2" face="Verdana">Dies & Gentlemen:</font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana">I am a fairly new bass player.
    For most of my life I've been shoved in the back of the scene as
    a drummer. I went out & bought a great Fender P-Bass but
    still am lacking the amp. I don't know what to get cab,head or
    combo or what? I play mostly punk but not hardcore or anything. I
    also enjoy most other kinds of music. So for my price range of
    $320 bucks what can i get thats not cheap or low wattage? Aay?</font>
    Ugh.....
    Derek the Fat Kid

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    My regular suggestion...:)

Ampeg BA-112 or BA-115....depending on the deal you can get.

3. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    For that ammount of money, I'd probably be looking for a new combo. Perhaps a nicer used combo or a used head/cab combination (though that would be an extremely good deal for a good one...).

My suggestion is the Crate BX-100 (the 1999 model with the Direct out and effects loop - not that new model that trades those important features for built-in effects). Read my review in the reviews section for what I think about it. Otherwise, check out http://www.crateamps.com

I've been told that the SWR Workingman's series is excellent, though they're a fair bit above your price range however. You might be able to get a smaller Hartke Kickback for that ammount of money.

http://www.swrsound.com

[Edited by White_Knight on 09-15-2000 at 10:34 PM]

4. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I would second Deynn's recommendation. Try to swing for the BA-115...twice as many watts and a fantastic sound.

-GM

5. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    I'll just echo what's already been posted: the Ampeg BA-115 is a real nice sounding combo that can be found for about the price you're looking at.

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

Peaveys are known to have good value, you can find their
    TNT models for 300 bucks or under as used.. Newer TNT115s have 150 watts, older TNT130s 130.

7. logicman69

logicman69 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2000
    West Warwick, RI
    All though the Ampeg and Crate are great choices. I've found a Peavey TKO works great from most situations. It has a great tone when coupled with a bass with great tone (especially the P-bass) and @ 85watts its loud enough for most situations. It tots a single Black Widow 15, and enough eq to shape the tone you want. I think retail on these things new is arround $350. Check it out allong with the other great recomendations (the ampeg is an especially nice choice, but go with the BA-115 more watts and more balls out of the 15")

Peace