What's a good, fun, DigiTech pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by moatilliatta, Dec 27, 2007.

1. moatilliatta

moatilliatta

Sep 24, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    DigiTech has an offer going on right now where if you buy 2 DT pedals you get one free, and I happen to be looking to purchase a Whammy and a Bad Monkey (using x-mas money to start my pedal collection, and put my mediocre all-in-one pedal to rest... also getting Boss TU-2 tuner and Line 6 Echo Park delay, all chosen by recommendations here, along with my testing them out when i shop around town tomorrow)...

So I figure I might as well take advantage of the offer, but I don't know what else I want. The one catch is that (like most buy-X-get-Y-free) is that the free one has to cost less than the ones you pay for, and the Bad Monkey is in the cheapest tier of DT products, so I'd be spending more than originally planned for something I didn't originally want, but if it's fairly cheap I figure it's worth it.

Are there any good, fun DT pedals that are near or under $100, aside from the Bad Monkey? The Bass Squeeze has gotten some bad reviews or I'd pick that up, anybody here used it? The Bass Synth Wah sounds neat but I can't imagine using it that often outside of home...

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The BSW gets a fair amount of love here, try it, you might enjoy it. The Bass Squeeze is crap IMO.

3. I agree with bongomania. I my Bass Synth Wah is tons of fun!

4. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    +1.

I like the synth settings more than the filter settings.

5. Yea the BSW is pretty sick but you should try it out and see if you could actually find an application for it, because a lot of it's sounds are pretty out there.

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i vote digidelay, since i owned one for a while, before i moved onto something with a dedicated tap tempo switch. even though im on my 3rd bsw, as i keep trying to rid of them, and then octave effect on the cheap situations keep finding me over and over again

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I actually use my BSW just as an octaver - for the price it does a great job of this (best tracking octaver I've tried, actually) and it's a very useable effect when you know how to incorporate it. It's worth getting just for this even if you never find a use for the wilder sounds it can do.

8. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    BSW. You get envelope, synth and octave all in one pedal.

9. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    HUGE +1.

Extremely versatile pedal and the best Octave down effect you can buy for the price.

10. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I hate the BSW. Mine always sounded like a$$ no matter what setting I put it on or how I tweaked it. The envelope filter is weak sauce and the down octave always gave a weird up octave squeel when I hit a note. The synths were corny at best. Some of it sounded alright if you put a distortion after it, but not really worth it.

Get a Jamman if you have to buy a digitech pedal, but maybe a second Whammy IV :D

11. Rumblee

Rumblee

Jan 18, 2005
    whammy

12. moatilliatta

moatilliatta

Sep 24, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    Here's how it went down...

My original plan was to be frugal, and get the Bad Monkey for now and get the Whammy a bit down the road and forsake the freebie since there was nothing I NEEDED, so I went and purchased the Bad Monkey.

Then I came here and saw the glowing love for the BSW and went and tried one, I dig the octaver and can think of a song or two to use the synth effects with, so I bought one of those... (also thanks for the input on the DigiDelay, thejohnkim, but I already have a Line 6 Echo Park delay). Which left me with little choice in the free pedal, since Bad Monkey is in the lowest category I could only pick another from that level, so I'm getting the Hot Head, it sounded pretty decent at the store... Might occasionally lend the Hot Head and/or Bad Monkey to our keyboardist, see how that sounds (especially since he and I switch instruments on a few songs, I'll always get to play with my toys!)

I'm also today going to go blow $200 not on the Whammy (my old DigiTech BP200 has a whammy feature which I'm sure doesn't sound as good as the proper Whammy pedal, but I kinda like the warbly lowfi-ness of it, it fits the band I'm in) but instead on the Sansamp Bass Driver, as on this site and many others I have yet to read a single negative thing about it.

So thanks a lot, Talk Bass, now I've not only scrapped my money-saving plan, but am spending even more than I originally wanted! haha... But now I have an array I'm proud enough of I can post it on the show-off-yer-board-thread!

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Cheshire, UK
    BSW all the way.

Maybe an old PDS delay

14. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Woot! Nice one on not reading the thread ;)

15. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    You must be deliberately skipping the negative threads and posts, then. :D

Not all the reviews of it are positive, but it's still a great pedal. I'd highly suggest reading up on the "issues" though, just so you don't plug it in and come back to us disappointed and confused. It's not a hard pedal to use, but it's easy to go in with the wrong expectations and come back frustrated.

A large majority of those disappointed by the SansAmp BDDI or Programmable BDDI don't like how it works with the mids (the "mid scoop" complaint, which is an easy fix, but not everyone likes the chosen frequency center for the mids) or didn't like how it interacted with their amp (often, you'll see people complain it's too "dark" or too "colored"). Now, with that being said, it's an amp emulator... so running it into another amp isn't always ideal unless it's a clean poweramp. However, there are also those who love that interaction.

IMO, it's best suited as a standalone amp-emulating DI (to be used for situations where lugging an amp around isn't what you want to do), and I think the mids are great once you learn how to work with them.

16. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    For the most part, I'm not a fan of Digitech pedals. Personally, I find most of them to be thin and "cheesy" sounding, especially their floor multi effects units...but I have a BSW and there are some fun sounds to be had from it...

17. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i've got the Humphrey ( Digitech ) Badder Bass Monkey --- Absolutely Love it,, sounds VERY PHAT,, cool mod to a good pedal,, plus it's like very inexpensive too :hyper:

18. moatilliatta

moatilliatta

Sep 24, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    I honestly hadn't really encountered anything bad yet, MysticBoo, but thanks for the heads up! Appreciated.

And fishtx, I can't speak for any of the DT floor multi effects pedals except the one I have, and it's... alright. It's served well, and good for what it does... I'm just ready to expand my collection.

Does anyone know if you can send your Bad Monkey to Humphrey and they'll mod it, or do you have to buy one new from them?

19. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    None, I have never found a Digitech I like. The BP80 is a complete waste of money especially!

20. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...if you're going to do this, then the best plan is to get 2 pedals from the same group level so that the free pedal is also from that group level...if you get a whammy & a Bad Monkey, then your free pedal has to be from the same group as the BM, this doesn't really save you as much...you should buy 2 expression pedals (a whammy, since you want one, plus one of the others, or another whammy) & get a 3rd expression of your choice free (well, $9.95 shipping), then sell 2 of the new expression boxes & buy whatever else you want, in excellent used condition preferably...check the site for which pedals are grouped together...that's exactly what I'd do anyway, infact I've been playing around with this idea in regard to the CF-7...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021