1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's a good guitar to have lying around?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Dec 14, 2018.

1. I need an electric guitar for recording and jams and such like. The Squier CV/VM basses are pretty good for the money. Is this also true for the Telecasters?

fhm555, 2cooltoolz and Jewce like this.
  2. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Yes, but you'll also get told to get an Ibanez, Yamaha, or a Washburn instead.

The tele will hum like a tele in 1 or 3, but most anybody with good fingers and ears won't care.

As a knockaround, even the affinity series are fine, and I prefer their satin necks over the cv/m gloss (ymmv).

diegom and saabfender like this.
  3. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I've heard good things.

personally I'd go single coil for primarily clean sounds, or humbuckers if you play mainly distorted.

Artman likes this.
  4. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    I have a PRS that’s pretty darn good. All types of sounds with the cool taps. Was around $500.

Artman and Selios like this.
  5. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I've gone on a binge lately trying to figure out what I want for nothing more than my own noodling at home. I've had a Japanese Electra forever - double humbucker layout like a Gibson Les Paul with a volume and tone knob for each pickup. It also has a coil tap, so I can also make a single coil sound, too.

On the Les Paul side of the street, Epiphone has been making lots of those for a long time, but there are a bundle of other LP copies out there, too. Same goes for the Strats.

I wasn't even shopping for a guitar at the time, but I sat down with a G&L Tribute S-500 last year (Strat style guitar). That first impression was just "Wow!". Everything felt great, smooth playing, great sound, very solid construction, and really affordable. Way beyond what I'd consider to be a sort of beginner's half decent axe. I'm not even much of a Strat guy, but I rather adore this guitar (yes, I bought it).

G&L has a full Tribute line that's worth a look I'd say. I've also seen a version of their Legacy Tribute (more traditional Strat) which has two single coils and a humbucker in the bridge position (with a coil tap). I'm sure that if I try one of those, there's a good chance that I'll want to give it a home, too.

Agree that PRS imports are also VERY nice players - wonderful, easy playing necks, at least for me. Many of these have humbuckers, not single coils. And yes, I've talked myself out of buying a PRS at least two or three times in recent months... but I'll probably cave when I find that one that's just too right!!

The good news is that my guitar curiosity has been a big help with expanding my understanding of the fretboard when I'm playing my bass. I thought I was wasting my time with the guitar, but nowadays when I'm playing with the band, I can really interact with our guitar dude much better and also think way beyond "holding down the one".

MasterMonkeyMan likes this.
  6. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    The only good guitar is a dead guitar.

7. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Like this one?
    upload_2018-12-14_8-24-4.

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    SirMjac28 likes this.
  9. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    SX maybe? I played an SX Tele a couple weeks ago, and I had to turn and run out of the store after I played it. The only thing that kept my broke @$$ from buying that sucker is that I already have three cheap Teles and I really shouldn't get another... right? :rollno:

10. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    No, like this one.

image-placeholder-title.

11. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Steampunk alert!

inthevelvet, BurnOut and saabfender like this.
  12. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    Any cheap guitar will do, as long as it is well set up and adjusted.

GreyMark and lfmn16 like this.
  13. Wow! Now there's some answers. Thanks.

I'll go for the Squier, I reckon. But thanks for the suggestions.

Artman likes this.
  14. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    My advice may sound uncommon, but a Westone or Electra of the mid 80s era are awesome, and do coil spilling on the buckers with push pull, so it can do a good approximation of several popular guitars. Mine also has a maple body, so it's solid as heck and sounds great. They're CHEAP because no one famous plays them!

Attached Files:

groove pump likes this.
  15. Pops OB

Pops OB

Nov 4, 2016
    What’s a guitar?

CameronJohnson and MattZilla like this.
  16. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Could be used MIM Fender.

Inara likes this.
  17. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I dabble in guitar on the side. I have a Mexican Strat, a G&L Asat bluesboy (tele), Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and an Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top pro. I rarely every touch the strat, tele, or standard LP. That plus top pro just feels and sounds how a guitar should. And that’s odd to me cause I’m a Fender man all day, every day.
    A67FD795-30D8-416F-A281-3CEC6A1E88A0.

Andy235 and Robert B like this.
  18. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    An instrument for failed bass players.

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    If I wanted an electric guitar it would be either a musicmaster or esquire, I think.

20. I have a 1981 Fender Strat it is the model with 3 pickups, great guitar

Artman likes this.