Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's a good intermediate and decent price bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by natedogg567, Jan 13, 2001.

1. Hey, I've got a Samick Silvertone(red) and I don't like it too much. I bought it off my bro just because I needed a bass in a hurry and was short on cash. So, I was wondering what a decently priced 4-string for an intermediate player would cost. Think you guys could help me out? Thanks.

2. Oh yeah, it also makes a rattling noise when I play within the 5-9th frets on A-string. Could you tell me what that's about too? Thanks.

3. Good basses are everywhere, but here are a few that I like.
    Fender Standard Basses are good, both the Jazz and the Precision. Ibanez basses aren't to bad for the money, and are pretty popular. I think that Peavey basses for the money are also pretty good.
    I'm not the best luthier, but here are a few things that could be wrong with your bass...
    -The a string might have been cut too short and didn't wrap far enough down your tuning peg and thus there isn't enough pressure on the nut to keep the string tight.
    -another problem could be that your neck or bridge needs adjustment, and for this, dont do anything majo, I would leave that to a professional.
    -Or it could be that the bass is a p.o.s. and that you need a new one asap.

4. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I say go with an Ibanez. I got and Ibanez SR 405 w/ hardshell case for 360 used off of eBay. You might want to look at the SR 400 (4 String version). They are cheap and they sound decent.

Go USED!!

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Since you say in your profile you don't know which make of amp you have, I would assume it's not too hot. You might put that money towards an amp.

A crummy bass through a good amp sounds better than a good bass through a dog amp.

6. Coming from another self-proclaimed punk with very little cash, i'm with Jim on the MIM Fender Jazz or Precision. I have the Jazz, myself, and it sounds great with punk (or atleast what i precieve as punk....you seem to like Blink :rolleyes: ). Oi, go used!

7. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I also say go with a Fender MIM Jazz or precision. I just got the MIM jazz as a backup and it is great. Plus, you can always upgrade it later if you want. The rattling noise you talked about is probably a problem with the setup (bridge and neck). You can read about how to setup a bass on a lot of websites. If you don't know what youre doing though, it might be better to take it to a professional.

8. Groove

Groove

Jan 13, 2001
    I don't agree with rickbass1 on the amp thing. A crapy bass still won't sound good through a good amp. The "Sound" is 70%-75% the BASS. You can prove this fact the next time your in a music store. Spend the cash on a bass. So far the best sounding and playing bass I've seen for around $600.00 is the Conklin GT-4. Check it out before you buy!

9. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    No really, a crappy bass can sound alright through a nice amp. But the opposite will never happen.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My Pedulla sounds better through an SWR or Eden than it does through my Peavey TNT130.

So does my $200 Peavey Foundation.

11. rickbass

12. Thanks guys. I'll probably have to go with an MIM Fender. Oh, and when I said I didn't know what kinda amp I have, it's not that it's a crappy amp, Im just not sure what kind it is, I never look. Thanks again.

13. I got my '96 MIA Fender Jazz 5 off Harmony Central for $450 with case.

14. Sorry, Groove, I'm with rickbass1 on this. A dog bass will sound way better through an Eden rig, than a Sadowsky will through a Samick amp. I run the bass dept at a music shop, and so I see this happening all the time.

15. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    On the amp thing:

I think it really depends on the quality of the amp. If he has a half decent amp I say go for a bass first. I think that the only situation you should go for an amp first if your amp is really bottom of the barrel.

But you also have to take into consideration that you are in a band and if you are gigging (says you just started but I dont know) then you should look into an amp cuz whats the point of a great bass if you can't hear it.

16. rickbass

Rap on, bro!
    Or hear ALL of it!

17. darthspada

darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Used will be your best bet to get a great instrument at an affordable price. Don't concern yourself with appearance. If your band is punk, tone doesn't matter too much either. And don't be fooled by brand name. I bought a p-bass rip off that sounds and feels better than a "real" classic p-bass through the same amps. Check out what feels best. Keep in mind that you going to have to get used to playing standing up with a heavy instrument wrapped across your neck. If the bass feels good on your hands and your back, and the price is right, buy it. You can always buy something better later on. As far as the amp/guitar combo for sound... it truly is a combo. Your tone will change any time you change anything with the equipment or the set up.