1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's a good J pickup to match up with a Reverend P pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ElBajista, May 13, 2006.

1. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I want to convert my SX to a P/J bass, and I've decided to try to do this in a rather low-cost way, so I've decided to go with the 8.7K Reverend P pickup, but I need some ideas for a matching J bridge pickup.

I'm sure that someone out there has done this. Any ideas?

2. Doesn't Reverend make single coils as well as split coils? I figure those would make a good match, as they would be made in a similar fashion by the same company.

3. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    They do, but only the neck J pickup. There would be a lot of space between the pickup and the cavity if you put a neck J pickup in the Bridge position. That, and the strings wouldn't match up with the poles. I wish they had a J bridge pickup available.

4. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Sending you a PM with some questions.

5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I had a Reverend PJ that had a DiMarzio Model J in the bridge slot. I liked it well enough that I'm planning on putting that pickup into another Reverend PJ I've got (I restored the original Reverend J pickup). So I'd give a thumbs-up to the Model J matched up with a Reverend P pickup.

6. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    How would you describe the overall tone? Vintage, or modern? I should have mentioned that I'm looking for more of a vintage-esque tone.