What's a good jazz recording?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Sup.

I was reading aboot Cliff, and he referred to Metallica as "thrash-jazz."

And I wanted to check out some Jazz stuff anyway... so...

What's a good jazz song?

*And I checked the archives, before you get on my case :) nothin' there really*
  2. My suggestions would be to listen to some stuff that Stanley Clark does, I like his version of Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, origionally done by Mingus. Listen to some Jaco Pastorius and John Patitucci for electic bass stuff. I also like Jaco's version of So What. The Yellowjackets' bass player is phenominal and I was blown away when I had the opportunity to see them live at a local Jazz Festival, even got his autograph later on, seemed like a cool guy. Then for just general jazz listen to Charles Mingus, Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, Michael Brecker, John Scoffield (sp?), and throw in some John Choltrain. Unfortunately, there aren't too many (too my knowledge) successful electric jazz bassists. They're usually just used for Samba or Latin tunes and everything else is basically the upright bass. I think that Jaco only started to tap the possibilities of an electric bass in jazz.

P.S. If I sound dumb it's my first post...
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I can understand Metallica being labeled Thrash...I don't, however, see where the Jazz part of the equation fits.
    I can see a band like Living Colour being labeled Thrash Jazz(on some of their tunes)...
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The best selling jazz recording ever has been "Kind of Blue" with Miles Davis. That is a good start, but Davis has many other recordings. I also like his "Porgy and Bess."

Then there is John Coltrane. Try his "Giant Steps," "Blue Train" or "Coltrane Plays the Blues" or "A Love Supreme." Like Davis, however, he has many CDs.

Other names you would do well to consider are McCoy Tyner, Thelonius Monk, Charlie "Bird" Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Duke Ellington, Dave Brubeck, Ahmad Jamal, Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Sonny Rollins, Stan Getz, Errol Garner, Oscar Peterson, Art Tatum...and so many more.

Maybe the best way to go would be to buy one of the Ken Burns compilations of jazz music or any other compilation such as a Blue Note compilation (if there is one.)

It is hard to reccomend just one jazz song or CD because there are so many different styles of jazz. You might hate one and really get into another. in fact, that would describe me. I never tire of "Kind of Blue" but have little patience with atonal or free jazz. I don't even like a lot of jazz fusion. That's why I say buy a CD that has many styles or artists on it, so that you can get a better taste of the many permuations of jazz.
  5. Boplicity

Yes, that surprised me also. Next someone will be claiming Limp Bizkit and Korn are nu-metal jazz.:D
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    This ain't the '70s...back then there were only a handful of electric Jazz bassists(Monk Montgomery, Cranshaw, Stanley, Jaco, Swallow, Dave Holland, Alphonso, Anthony Jackson, Will Lee, Gary King, etc).
    Nowadaze, there's plenty(way too may to mention)-
    Since you like Jaco...check out Jeff Andrews, Gary Willis, Oteil Burbridge, Richard Bona, Victor Bailey, & Randy Tico.

If you like Patitucci-
    Check out Tommy Kennedy & Jimmy Johnson.

And please-
    ...it's John Coltrane.

7. Thanks for the names man, I'll have to check them out myself. I did mean, however, that electic bass is less respected in Jazz. Atleast at the level I'm at. I have the opportunity to practice my instrument 3+ hours a day, but my band instructer insists on me playing the upright, which is basically a wing it thing. I've had two lessons on upright, and I was told that I "mastered" bowing technique in 2 minutes, something that's supposed to take 2 years. I just think that you can do a lot more with an electric bass than an upright, however traditional the sound is. I think its all a matter of which one looks harder, because to me the upright is like 8 times easier than an electric, you just need good ears.
  8. ha ha ha haha ha aha ha haha ha ha ha ha haha hahha h ha ha ha ha haa ....

9. ....ha ha ha ha ha haHA HA HA HA AH ahha ha hahahahahahahh

(in anticipation of Ed, DURRL, and the rest of the DB gang finding this thread)
  10. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hey, I resent that! ;) :D

Seriously, though, that is a difficult question, since there are a whole lot of different types of jazz.

A few suggestions from a fellow Metallica fan's point of view would be Jaco Pastorius, Charlie Hunter or the Living Daylights, but there are a billion other excellent choices!

Just remember that jazz sounds nothing like Metallica. At the same time, what is commonly referred to as "jazz" here is nothing like what you are forced to endure in the dentist's waiting room.

Happy listening!
  11. Some good "jazz" recordings are the following:
    Miles Davis - relaxin' with the miles davis quintet
    -kind of blue
    -bitches brew

Jaco - self titled debut and "heavy weather" with weather report

...so many others, but I guess we can start with that

Also, whoever said the DB is "8" times easier to play than the electric bass and that they had mastered bowing technique in 2 minutes just doesnt know what they are talking about.
  12. Hey the question was for "good" jazz, these people are not good. They are great, get on the ball.

13. Boplicity

Whoops! My bad. :(

Let's see now. Good jazz:

Boney James
    Rick Braun
    Diana Krall
    Spyro Gyra
    George Benson
    Norman Brown
    David Koz
    David Sanborn
    Peter White
    Al Jareau

So So, Ho Hum Jazz:

Kenny G
  14. Boplicity

Wow! My advice would be because you appear to have a special gift with the upright bass--one that I truly, truly envy--that you should seriously pursue the study of the double bass.

In five or six months you could be right up there in stature with giants like Stanley Clarke, Ray Brown, Charles Mingus , Paul Chambers and others living and deceased who have reached the highest levels of mastery of their instrument.

A good start would be to listen to some of their music as a reference point to see and hear how close to them you already are. Start with the genius Charles Mingus.
  15. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    If you want some "Thrash Jazz" get Stanley Clarks live album and listen to "Dedicated to John part 2"
    that song is amazing
  16. Hey man, Cliff said it, not me.

Imagine that! LOL :D

Thx for the tips guys.

I'm checking out Chromatic Fantasy by Jaco right now.

I have to admit though. I'm not impressed. So far he's just going up and down scales...nothign exactly 'STIMULATING'....
  17. Wow.
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and we all know that tune is dedicated to one John Choltrain.

The whole thing with "Chromatic Fantasy"-
    It's a piece written by Bach; that Jaco translated it to the electric bass(back in the '70s) is what it's about. It's an etude...I recall reading from an '80s Guitar Player mag that Jaco hadda shed that tune big time.
    Personally, it doesn't do it for me...I prefer "Crisis" from that Word Of Mouth album.
  19. Dude, I'm a high school kid, I obviously suck at bass. I've only been playing for 3 years. But to your comments, I am studying up on Mingus and the other greats of the instrument. I don't plan on being some guy that just plays music and knows nothing of its history. I'm saying that if I had the time and money to play on an upright as much as an electric, I think that it is an easier instrument. Once you start getting into the upper tier playing and insane soloing, than its really hard to say which instrument is harder. I find it easier to walk on a DB than an electric. Is it just the way that the finger shifting is set up, who knows? I was told that I mastered bowing, but I was scheptical upon hearing that comment. maybe I should just shut up before I dig myself in an even deeper hole. I came here to learn and share what I've learned, so... To stick on topic, if you're a Metallica fan, (i am as well) I'd suggest listening to Liquid Tension, which is basically classified as Fusion. And some Dream Theater as well, which is more Prog Rock.
  20. Genome,

I just want to clarify that I was not laughing at your comment (re: DB), but rather, at the thought of the local DB masters reading your post and getting all excited about it, running around in a state of panic while mentally drafting another one of those highly entertaining series of responses, served "flambé" style. I'm surprised that they haven't sniffed this one out yet. Hope you have your fire suit on.