Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's a good keyboard for about $500?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    My parents said they'd be willing to spend about $500 for a keyboard for Christmas (lucky me:) ). Problem is I don't know what a good keyboard for that price range is. I'm looking for suggestions, so please give them to me.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, there's the Yamaha PSR-550 (I own one). Good all-around keyboard. Retails for $499 at Guitar Center, but you can get GC to drop their price to $415, as that's the price to match o BestTag.com-but they won't unless you mention it.

Also, the Yamaha S03 is a good synthesizer for that range. If you like digital piano-type keyboards, then the Yamaha DGX 500 is nice at about $550 with 88 keys and a stand.

If you're looking used, try to find a Roland XP-30. They can be found for around $500 on Ebay, and they're fantastic and expandable synths.

Hope that helps.

3. I got a Yamaha DGX-500 from my folks for Christmas last year. The model one step below it, the DGX-300, would fit your needs nicely and come in well under $500.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    hmm. between the PSR-550, S03, and the DGX 500, the S03 is the most appealing. I borrowed a friend's PSR-550 a couple summers ago and it was pretty nice, but a little too Casio-ish for me if that makes any sense. The S03 is more like what I am looking for; a synth type unit. I plan on mostly just messing around in my bedroom, but I also want the ability to take it to a gig.

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I also bought one a few weeks ago. Pretty good keyboard.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I sent a few hours scouring the internet for info on the suggested models, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the S03 or a used Roland XP-30. My question is, would it really be worth it to spend the time and effort hunting down a good used XP-30? What exactly makes the XP-30 a better keyboard than the S03?

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    A lot. Expandablity, better action, many more professional sounds...if you can find a good used one, definitely go for it.