1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what's a good keyboard for about $500?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    My parents said they'd be willing to spend about $500 for a keyboard for Christmas (lucky me:) ). Problem is I don't know what a good keyboard for that price range is. I'm looking for suggestions, so please give them to me.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, there's the Yamaha PSR-550 (I own one). Good all-around keyboard. Retails for $499 at Guitar Center, but you can get GC to drop their price to $415, as that's the price to match o BestTag.com-but they won't unless you mention it.

Also, the Yamaha S03 is a good synthesizer for that range. If you like digital piano-type keyboards, then the Yamaha DGX 500 is nice at about $550 with 88 keys and a stand.

If you're looking used, try to find a Roland XP-30. They can be found for around $500 on Ebay, and they're fantastic and expandable synths.

Hope that helps.

3. I got a Yamaha DGX-500 from my folks for Christmas last year. The model one step below it, the DGX-300, would fit your needs nicely and come in well under $500.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    hmm. between the PSR-550, S03, and the DGX 500, the S03 is the most appealing. I borrowed a friend's PSR-550 a couple summers ago and it was pretty nice, but a little too Casio-ish for me if that makes any sense. The S03 is more like what I am looking for; a synth type unit. I plan on mostly just messing around in my bedroom, but I also want the ability to take it to a gig.

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I also bought one a few weeks ago. Pretty good keyboard.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I sent a few hours scouring the internet for info on the suggested models, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the S03 or a used Roland XP-30. My question is, would it really be worth it to spend the time and effort hunting down a good used XP-30? What exactly makes the XP-30 a better keyboard than the S03?

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    A lot. Expandablity, better action, many more professional sounds...if you can find a good used one, definitely go for it.