1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what's a good neck angle to shoot for?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by isher1992, Apr 22, 2015.

1. I play a little bit on the higher frets (past 12th) and like a fairly low action.

I have a problem with two basses where the higher frets are really far from the strings and it makes it harder for me to play quickly down in that region.

I usually set my relief between .011" to .016". At the first fret, the strings are about 1/8" from the fret crown, and at the 12th, it's almost twice that. I am wondering if the neck angle would help solve the problem.

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    No...unless your saddles are bottomed out in which case a shim may be necessary. Normal relief is .012-.014" so you're in the ballpark. What's your string / 1st fret gap when fretted at the 3rd? Set your witness points?

Riis

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that seems hideously high. try a much straighter neck (like .010"), and check the nut again; if those strings are still far away from that first fret you'll never get low action anywhere until you get that fixed by filing down the slots.

JLS likes this.
  4. Undisclosed Recepient

Undisclosed Recepient

Sep 23, 2014

This guy says it all. You want to check out other three of his clips. There is also a very cool setting p bass guide that will work with other basses as well, like putting certain coins under the strings on the nut, and under the strings at the 15th fret or so.

Mediocrity Man likes this.