Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's a good Octaver (for synth)?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jeff Moote, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    What's your fav. octaveer for synth sounds (+fuzz, EV)?

I know the EBS will get votes, but it may be too clean for me (nevermind the task of getting it around here). I wanna know if the Boss tracks at all. If it tracks half decent above low E and really good above the open A, it's good enough.

Feedback please?

2. im not a fan of the octave pedals but the mxr bass octave is pretty nice and tracks very well. plus anything mxr puts out is known to be pretty damn reliable

3. check out the eh octave multiplexer, I was very impressed by the demos on the EH website, but the MXR Octave is incredibly fat and has expert tracking I recomend either for a decent synth sound.

4. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    The Boss will track fine above B on the A string. For the most part, you'd want to use the one octave down only(either all alone...quite synthetic-or mixed judiciously with the dry signal...beefy). The 2nd octave down is only really noticeable if you are WAY up the neck or if you use it with guitar. You have to get a feel for using it, it takes the right touch...but nothing can fill a room quite like it!

5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    lovely MS, but I can't afford one. :D

I think it's the MXR that wins, is it as fat as it seems?

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I really like octavers. I'm using 2 right now. I've got a Boss Harmonist HR-2 set to 1 octave up and 1 octave down. This feeds into a PS-3 set to straight and 1 octave down. They are digital, and you can hear some digital noise, but not enough to notice at performance volume. They track down to low E, but it can get muddy so you have to watch how much clean tone is mixed in. Both pedals have many additional functions (intelligent harmony, delay, chorus, +/-2 octaves) that I don't use very often, but they're fun to mess with now and then. Happy Ocataving!:D