What's a good onboard preamp for a metal bassist?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Serg, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Serg

Dec 22, 2004
    Hey I'm wondering what kind of on-board preamp fit best for a metal kind of bass. I'm the kind of guy who likes alot of growl and strings smackin against the frets from a bass so I want to upgrade my ESP F-205. I first thought of the Spector TonePump since I love the sound of my spector euro, but then i thought that maybe an 18 volts preamp would be best. So I thought the EMG BQS system would be cool, but now I'm stuck. I also heard Aguilar and Bartiloni are good but I'd rather hear from the people that know more about the sound of these preamps. I've already decided on what pick ups I want (EMG 40J & EMG 40DC) but I'm open to any other ideas. I mainly want to know more about preamps since I think I know enough about the pick ups I'm choosing. Also do you think an 18 volt is better than a 9 volt to get my kind of sound?
  2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    IIRC, with EMG pickups, the preamps are built into the pickups, so you don't have the option of using another brand of preamp ( at least not easily). Nothing wrong with the BQS system for the EQ though. EMG's aren't really known for their growl, though, but more for their clarity. 18 volts should give you a bit more headroom, but I wouldn't expect a drastic tonal change going from 9 to 18 volts.