Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's a good pick gauge?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thor16, Aug 28, 2004.

1. thor16

thor16

Jun 16, 2004
    I've been playing for a couple months now, and I've been playing fingerstyle. I would like to at least familiarize myself with playing with a pick. So what gauge do you guys suggest? I know they have to be heavy, but some brands come in mm measurements.

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I use Clayton .80mm

Slug

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    This is something you're going to have to find out for yourself. Just go down to your local music store with a few bucks and buy a selection of picks in different shapes, materials, and thicknesses.

I prefer the smaller teardrop shaped picks over the traditional triangle picks. As for gauge, I prefer Dunlop big stubby 3mm's.

4. I Like hard picks hate soft or flexible picks ( too weak ) anyway I use a jim dunlop stubby 3 mm but thats just me it really is up to you and what you feel comfortable with

5. I use heavies or mediums, maybe .80 to 1 mm or so. Too floppy gives a poor sound in my opinion, but I like a little flexibility.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'll go against the crowd this time, I use a .60mm nylon I tried heavies but I ended up pulling the string to hard. Also I couldn't play up empo at all with anything over a 1.0mm.

I also like them to have a good flex to them.

p.s. If you want to see something cool check an old NAMM video of Jauqo III X slapping with a pick in between his pinky and ring fingers. He would slap and then add faast embellishments with the pick, very very cool. I picked it up with a little practice, something to try if you want to learn a new technique.

7. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Let's put this here thread in Misc.........

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I like the Dunlop 1.0mm and 1.14mm ones (sky blue and purple, respectively) whenever I end up using picks.

9. Dunlop .96 or .70, 70 allows really good strumming (Rise Against - Like The Angel_ but .96 feels better.

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    If I decide to use a pick, I like to use the Dunlop Tortex 1mm triangles. They're the blue ones. :)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Mostly I use the black Dunlop 1mm picks, available at any GC. Once in a while I'll use a blue (medium) Sharkfin. But the "genuine" Sharkfin (tm, made in Sweden), not the Tortex knockoff junk. The genuine Sharkfin has a tiny hole in the pick point that contributes to playability and gives it a lot of its unique sound and feel. They're somewhat hard to find these days, but if you search Google I'm sure you'll hit a US distributor. I ordered a gross of them through Freedom Guitar in Hollywood, before they moved away.

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    1.14 for me

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    On bass, I prefer a really, really stiff pick. On guitar, I use Fender thins. On the rare occasion where I actually use a pick on bass, I just grab the stiffest pick on hand. On the rare occasion I ever bought picks, I really, really liked a thin stainless steel pick. It was thin enough to be comfortable for the grip, but rigid as a 5mm plastic one. Just don't hit that finish!

14. I prefer the Herco .75mm Nylons or the Dunlop 1mm Nylon.

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    This is an interesting thread to me... I have avoided using picks my whole life, but sometimes you just need the click, like Soundgarden - Would? I finger style that pretty well, but it just didn't bite quite right, unless I really hammer on hard, to get the clank.

I know I need to be able to pick, so I can when I need to... so...

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Are there two songs named Would?, are sure you aren't thinking Alice in Chains?

17. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    No, there's NOT two songs, I just had a brain fart... It IS Alice in Chains...

18. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Sooo...Back to the subject at hand. I second or third several mentions of the Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm, but I like the big triangle shape. Down by the bridge, where you might be after a Chris Squire type piano sound or a more agressive metal thing, it doesn't matter much. But, if you use a Fripp-style or Kaye-style traditional grip and play up closer to the neck for more of a bass-like sound, if you will, the big triangle shape helps a lot. More control over tone production, in my experience.

19. My favorite pick are dunlop sharp tortex 1.5mms . Best pick I ever used.