Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats A Good Price On An Elrick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by turnuptheBASS, Jan 30, 2005.

1. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    Hello talkbass forum memebers and Elrick users. I want an Elrick 5 String. I want to get a used one because I have read that they sell for much lower than a brand new one. I was just wondering what would be a good price on a used one? What is the current market value these days on a:
    Bolt-On?
    Neck-Thru?
    Hybrid?

Thanks to all.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    TBer Mark Beem is selling one right now for $1600 ish i think.... its in the classifieds part of the forum...

3. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    I just checked, its a lot lower then $1600, its on hold.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You can find Gold Standard five-strings (bolt-ons), some with and some without nice maple tops, for $1300-1600 fairly regularly. VERY good prices out there. Search bassgear.com and the Harmony Central classifieds for them (set the search parameters for a month or two back just in case). I got my two used, which are neck-through singlecuts, for $2000 and $2400, if you're looking for that sort of thing.

5. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    I have never played a neck-through before,
    does a neck-through sound different from a bolt-on?

6. I got a used Elrick Gold 5-string fretless with a pink ivory fingerboard for $1600 and was happy with the prices ... especially since I had seen it new several years earlier for $3400.

Between my Lakland, Roscoe, and Elrick fretless 5'ers, it's my favorite.

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    grooveguru also has a GS-5 for sale/trade on here... Not sure about his asking price but he's a reasonable man and it's a very nice bass. :cool:

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Used Elricks prices are all over the place. I've seen *new* 5-string bolt-ons with no top selling for as little as $1,600 at Bass Palace and used 6-string single cuts with crazy tops selling for over $3K.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you do a search containing the words "neck through" and "bolt on", you'll find a plethora of info and opinions on the differences between neck-through and bolt-on basses and why people prefer each one. For me, there's not so much of a sound difference, but a feel difference. I prefer that smooth transition from the neck to the body on a neck-through.

10. This is typical of most instruments, wouldn't you say? Why Elrick?

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Of the high-end brands that I've seen, Elrick basses have a tendancy to have a bigger drop in price compared to the price of new ones than many others. Thompson and Fodera hold their prices extremely well, Ritter and Sadowsky stay high, but Elricks usually drop very low. Roscoes can also be very low-priced on the used market, but Elricks tend to be lower (I've seen lots of Gold Standard 5s from $1300-$1500 mint, while Roscoes are a little higher at $1700-$2000 for with attributes and electronics similar to Gold Standards, some with nice tops too.)

I'm not sure why either-they're great basses.

12. I hear you there, however, I was curious as to what sparked the original poster's interest in elrick, as he used resale value as his main criteria for purchasing.

13. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    He probably passed by Brad Johnson's house and could hear him rambling to himself inside ;) :D

14. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.

Sorry for not being clear in my first post. The main reason I am looking for an Elrick is because I love how they sound and they are very light. I played one before not really expecting anything at all. BUT when I did I was blown away. Since then I decided I should look for one.

15. You speak truths my friend...

1) They sound great.
    2) They are very light.
    3) As your sig says, I should turn up the bass! :)

16. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    This bass is available again if you're interested..

:)