Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's a good rack-mounted multi-effect for bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassguppy, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Not necessarily looking for bass specific units but what multi-effect units do a decent job for bass overall. I know many preset patches are crap in numerous units but with a little tweaking which ones stand out. OR, are they all poo & should I stick with pedals.

thank ya!!

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I have a TC Electronics M-ONE that is my sole effect unit. It has served me well the past five years, and is the only effect unit I have actually kept after using it more than three or four times. (You may be familiar with their famous chours stomp box that is a staple for bassists)

I use it primarily for a subtle effect to my fretless playing, as the chorus is outstanding. The other effects are top notch as well.

Two channels can be run together or individually (there are individual bypass buttons for each channel), and you can program a ton of presets to your liking.

If you can find one in good condition, definitely give it some serious consideration.

R

3. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    What dollar figure? and would you prefer new or used? What type of effects are most critical to you?

4. New or used does not matter. Probably willing to go up to $500.00 max but would prefer $300 range. Mainly want the unit to start going into uncharted territory. I would like to look into different types of music (experimental stuff). looking mainly to have a pedal distortion, volume pedal. but was thinking it would be nice to have lesser used effects in compact package.

Chorus, Envelope Filter-Wah, EQ (to tweak), Flanger, Delay, Reverb. Mainly something with not 1 or 2 spectacular sounds but 5-6+ good sounds. Able to mix 3-4 at once. Loop functions? Mainly for live use.

5. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    $300 range would get you something like a used Digitech Valve FX and the Control one. Downside is Effects are based of of preassigned effects patches. You have the ability to turn on/off within patch, but if a patch doesn't include a certain effect (It has a chorus but not an envelope filter) yo're out of luck. It sounds good, though. Each patch has a Parametric Eq, and I can get it to sound very close to my Eden head. I'm fairly certain the 2112 allows you to choose what effects you want inside each patch. I don't know if 2112 meets your criteria pricewise.

The ART SGX2000 Express is an option. You can find these on ebay for around $250 with the included midi footpedal (X-15). I have one. Nice unit, but the eq is a line eq, and I prefer parametrics. All the better if you can find the ART Nightbass. Same thing as an SGX2000, but specifically built for bassists.

The previously mentioned M-One is a nice unit. You might also consider the Lexicon MPX550. One of these effects units combined with a midi mouse should still be beneath $500 delivered.

As far as new units geared specifically to Bass, the Rocktron Blue Thunder does not have a wah, but can be setup for pre amp or efx loop. There is a thread in this forum listing its pluses and minuses. I like it, but it could use a good synth, wah/filter in its next incarnation.

There are a lot of choices new or used. Good luck! :)

6. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    The Line6 Bass PODxt Pro is about $600, I believe. The amp/cabinet modeling is *great*. Some of the effects are good, but others, like the synth and octave are not. The strength of the PODxt is amp/cabinet modeling, and easy switching of EQ, stomp-box, modulation, etc.

The effects on the Boss GT-6B are reportedly better, but the amp-modeling is not supposed to be as good, and the Boss is floor-mount.

7. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
  8. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    How is rocktron blue thunder?

9. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I've used a Boss SE-50 for years with good results.
    @$75 - EBay.

10. I have them both, and I would suggest the Line 6 Bass Pod Pro XT with the FBV Floorboard controller. You are looking at $1000.00 new for both from Guitar Center or Americanmusical.com

But worth the price.

3 out of 4 bassist I know prefer the Line 6 over the Boss.

11. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    moi aussie.

12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I second the Nightbass. In partciular the SE model with the v1.04 chipset. Find the X-15 foot controller and your set. You can pick them up on Ebay or elsewhere in the $150-$250 w/X-15 and normally in excellent shape.
    The Nightbass will definately take you there! I haven't even really begun to dive into what this unit is capable of. :bassist: If you would like to hear some samples go here:Nightbass SE samples. Just pick Superbassman's folder or mine and have a listen. Please forgive my playing as I did those at like 3:00 in the morning. :p