what's a good rosin...?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by bfitz, Dec 20, 2005.

1. bfitz

May 18, 2005
    lorain, ohio
    hello all,

i'm curently using pops but it seems just a little to grabby (i'm not sure if that makes sence). i want to try something that feels smother on the strings. i really don't use a lot of rosin on my bow to begin with. i use helicores (sp?) orchestral string and a french bow with white hair. thanks for any advice.
  2. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Personally, I like the Kolstein Soft rosin. It's a little on the expensive side, 13-15 Bucks I think, but well, well worth it. Occasionally I will add some cello rosin for the upper register for doing solo.
  3. You know, a few years ago I was having the same problem. I had been using Pops forever and wanted to see what these fancy European rosins were like. Turned out, they kind of sucked.

But the point is that I gave a number of them a fair shot. I highly recommend you go out and buy three or four cakes of different brands and try each for two or three weeks at a time. Everyone has different tastes. For me, I found that I just needed to use less Pops to get a good sound. "Grabby" isn't such a bad thing when you're playing bass.
  4. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    I'm another for Kolstein Soft Rosin, it's great for solo playing. Just try not to put too much on, a little bit works fine. It has a very very smooth affect on a bass.
  5. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    A good step-down in grabbiness is the newly revived Oak Rosin. It's even more expensive at $20 a cake but should last for years. I switched when I got a new bow this summer and is just what I've been looking for - less sticky than Pops and moreso than Kolstein Soft.

6. bfitz

May 18, 2005
    lorain, ohio
    where can you find the oak rosin? i've been reading about it but not sure where to get it.
  7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Nyman and Carlsson are pretty popular. Been using Nyman myself.
  8. You have to order it direct from Mr. Gregorian. He accepts personal checks and PayPal.
  9. I just started using Carlsson as well... but i found that if the rosin dust gets anywhere near my skin it sticks and it gets hard to play.
  10. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    How are you getting it on your skin?
  11. JayR

Nov 9, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    post fingerboard harmonics?

A side note, I used to use pops religiously, stopped about a year ago because it kept melting all over every damn thing, switched to kolstein/nymans, then a couple of days ago I didnt have my rosin and I borrowed two swipes of pops off someone, and my volume output like, doubled. ***? I dont recall pops ever having that effect when I used to use it.
  12. Well, that's precisely why I went back to using Pops. It's also why Hal Robinson and the rest of Philly uses it. Reminds me of a conversation I heard this summer:

Pops User: So, why do you use Kolstein instead of Pops?
    Kolstein Guy: I like to have a little finesse to my sound.
    Pops User: Uh huh, well I like to have a little sound to my sound.
  13. After a while it comes off... mainly from playing... however i don't know of any GOOD way to get it off... ive only been using the rosin for a week or so
  14. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Right hand, left hand or both?
  15. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    Yes, it is quite strange, I had the same problem. (Getting it on my finger tips.)