Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's a good second amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGuitarNerd, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Hello, I am looking for a good combo amp. All I have right now is my 15 watt practice amp and I want a 100 watt combo so I can hear myself over our drummer. Amazingly, the 15 watter is almost loud enough, but I think if I get another 85 watts I'll be set for a good long time. I was looking at the following...

Fender Bassman 100

Ibanez Sound Wave 100

Crate BT100

They are all $350 but they all have different options. I liked the Fender becuase of it's light weight. The Ibanez looks nice becuase it is a 8ohm speaker, which I am told can get just as loud, but without the distortion. Last, the crate looked nice becuase the horn and the fun distortion channel.

Has anyone had any experience with these three amps? Any imput would be much appreciated.

P.S. I also noticed the Fender Rumble 100...

2. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    you have to trust me on this, look for an oldschool peavey 115 combo with a black widow speaker. i have the 400w RMS version with two 130w RMS extensions at 4 ohms!!!!!thats a total of 660 potential watts RMS :D :D :D !!!! get an old school peavey... if you can find one ;)

3. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Seriously consider the Bassman 150. The tone, IMO, is significantly better as is the tweeter in this combo.
    It's surprisingly good and can be found for $350.
    150w, 12" speaker, better tweeter, better features, only 39 lbs.
    I played the 100 and 150 not long ago and to my ears the 150 is a far better combo and could easily be gig-worthy if you're not up against a heavy handed drummer and a wall o' guitars.
    Just my thoughts.

4. Dude, you should just start building a rig right now, you won't regret it....as if you are be giging, 100 watts is not really enough.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Trust me, I thought the same thing when I started. 100W sounded like a lot, then I bought 240, pushing hard a lot of times playing with a loud drummer. THAT's just in practice, let alone live situations, I need PA support sometimes.

100W isn't what it sounds like it sounds like.

6. +1

100 watts is not enough. not even if you think it is. i had 150 and couldn't hold my own. now i'm putting together a rig. i should have done this to begin with. it will cost you more now, but in the end it will cost considerably less.

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah throw me in on the "Build a rig" idea. In live situations your just gonna flop with 100Watts. Its excellent for practice though... but... you'd be better off in the long run purchasing something you can use for everything.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, I practice with either my 240W GK 400RB-III, 240W Peavey Mark VI, or my 60W Vox T-60.

Either way, I seldom turn it way up.

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Oh... and plus, ya gotta think speakers. Ya get a combo, and you just get those speakers pretty much, unless its expandable. With a rig, you can get like... 200-1200watts and have any amount or assortment of speakers you want.

Example: Ampeg B2R. Through a 210.... barely enough to play shows with (if your desperate). Through a 410 + 115.... you'll be fine with it (..... sorta).

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Yup, definately save up for a real amp. With brands like Avatar available so cheap combos are no real alternative unless you are a true newbie. Once you've decided bass is for you its worth holding out until you can assemble the money for a decent rig.

11. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    This is very true, I wish I had saved up for a really good rig as opposed to buying pieces of crap and then getting good stuff one piece at a time. Now I just need to get a decent bass....

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like the SWR Workingman's 12.

13. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    Fender Bassman is my pick for combos on the low end (but not FrontMan or Rumble!). Buy the new silver-face models though, the old black-face had reliability problems (but *great* sound!). I also had pretty good luck with Peavey TNTs in the mid-80s, but they are heavy!

I'll echo the "more power is better" folks. If you're even audible over a drummer with 15W, I'm guessing you've got a very "treble" sound. In order to be heard, with so little power (even 100W with a 10 or 12" speaker), you may need to develop "bad habits" depending on nothing but mid-range and treble (sounding much like a piano), possibly combined with distortion (fuzz-bass).

You can't push serious low-end frequencies with 15W. At 100W (solid-state) you're just getting into "usable" territory. Doubling wattage does *not* double "loudness".

Personally, I'd suggest the Bassman 250, since it is available with a 15" speaker. I learned on 400W w2x15" - imagine my "joy" starting bass again years laters with a Fender FrontMan 15B @15W w8" speaker.

14. Matt Morgan -- Where have you seen the Bassman 150 so cheap? $430 is about as cheap as I can find them... are you referring to the new silver face amps?

This is the amp I am looking to purchase soon... I am a newbie (lead guitar player lurking into the bass scene) and looking for something that I can practice with & run good tone to the PA via D.I.

thanks, henry

15. Here's my advice: buy used.

Carvin DCM 1000: $200 (or others like it)
    SansAmp Bass DI: $100

Envy factor from your bandmates: priceless.

There's 1kW 2x10 rig that will last you for years and let you upgrade as you go. It's not that much more. You could also look for Peavey or Carvin or Dr. Bass speakers, they would be in the same price range.