Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's a good size amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thor16, Dec 6, 2004.

1. thor16

thor16

Jun 16, 2004
    ...for small gigs (like a bar)? I'm basically just getting into bass, but I'm looking to upgrade my amp in the near future. Any suggestions on wattage and/or make would be greatly appreciated. :bassist:

2. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152742&highlight=minimum+amp+opinion

this link is helpful, though I don't really agree. Plenty of gigable combos as long as

Your guitarist has good intonation and does not rely on a double stack to mask his playing.

Your drummer is reasonable

You have a good PA to plug into with a good DI on you amp.

Most clubs are small when you think about it, unless your band is really hot and only plays big venues. SInce you are new, don't worry yet.

Eden nemises 210 or 115

Ashdown Mag 210 combo

Yorkville "Bass master combos" 200 and 400 watters

Ampeg b100r. Heavy and only 100 watts but good old skool sound.

Or go to avatarspeakers or dr. bass cabs. Get yourself a speaker cabinet and find a head that will play at least 300 watts into 4 ohms.

3. thor16

thor16

Jun 16, 2004
    anyone else have any input? :eyebrow:

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Check out the Fender Bassman combos.

5. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I have and 200 watt yorkville. I can see gigging at bars with it.

6. Luciano_Bass

Luciano_Bass Guest

Nov 6, 2004
    Glasgow
    I think if it is a four string you are playing, you should be going for a 2x10, its practical to cart about, and anything 200W+ should be able to handle the gig environment.

Perhaps if you play 5/6 string you may want the 1x15 for that low end.

It also depends on what kind of lines you're grooving on, for example, fast tight and choppy, the 2x10 may be preferable because it'll handle that top end and be clean (may I advise aluminium cones).

However if it's a more atmospheric performance and you are backing guitar a lot, with less speed, then perhaps the 1x15 is a healhty option as it would fill out much better.

Then again, if you are competent enough: in either situation (2x10 / 1x15) I'm sure you'll get your sound through, thanks to the wonders of technique and EQ!

Happy amping...