1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats a good song to learn simply for showing off?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Earthday, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Learn how to slap triplet octives. Everyone will think your the next les claypool except for other bass players.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I learned all of Kiefo's songs on tabzz, now all the chicks know I'm kewl

3. "slap triplet octives"

What do you mean by that? Can you give a quick description and/or tab?

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey, there have been plenty of tough songs suggested in this thread.

I think Teen Town is harder than Classical Thump. Classical Thump sounds harder than it is.

bc

5. First off, you're a wanker.:p

Second off, Potrait Of Tracy.

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Yeah sure, but I think Teen Town is a very hard song to master. I had it down on my fretted, but was seriously set back when starting to play fretless.

OT; Some Octave triplet slapping is the way to go.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I forgot to the mention that the version of Classical Thump that I play is 20 bpm and all whole notes.

bc

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Why do you want to learn a song just to "show off? Trust me, as someone who has the chops to show off, it's VERY overrated. The groove is where it's at!

9. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    I would have to say these are your best bets:

1. Metallica - Enter Sandman
    2. Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused
    3. System Of A Down - Suite - Pee
    4. Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil
    5. System Of A Down - Toxicity

10. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    +1
    Learn how to play a good groove before you try to superficially impress people by locking yourself in your bedroom and memorizing one of the great songs of holy bassdom note for note. Most people will be more impressed and keep their interest longer with someone who can actually groove.

But on the other hand, YYZ would probably be a good "look I'm a wanker song". Yeah, it's hard, but if you have a recording of it, it's really easy to hear Geddy's lines and make sense of them from there.

-Alex

11. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    You dont really need to learn groove to play a good show off song. Really, try Anesthesia Pulling Teeth, at least you can play the first couple of minutes rather easily. Just get a distortion pedal, turn that distortion up, and try to go as fast as you can. It'll come slowly but surely ;)

12. ANYTHING by Primus/Les Claypool.
    Every single song by Claypool is easier then it sounds and usually repetitive.
    My suggestions:
    Tommy The Cat
    Jerry Was a Racecar Driver
    Mr. Knowitall
    My Name Is Mudd
    And just about anything else.

13. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I didn't say you did, I meant that if you CAN groove, people will be more impressed in the long run. The initial "oh my god he's playing a Cliff Burton solo at 1,000 bpm" wears off pretty quickly.
    -Alex

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    This thread makes me sad. :bawl:

15. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    That's for sure.

However, by the time hes learnt to be groovy, he'll have time to learn anesthesia 10 times over, so he might choose to go the easy way seeing as he doesnt really care much for bass playing anyway.

16. TheThumb

TheThumb

Jan 2, 2005
    Eruption:D - On the G string, no problem. You might lose some dignity though...

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    LOL!!!!!!

18. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Death From Above 1979 songs are easy enough but catchy so people aren't all "is that a song?" "what song is that?"

IT has melody actually. Also some classic blues and walking bass lines are cool. BOn Jovi living on a prayer hehe. Rick James...

19. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Making this thread stupid and pointless.
    Bring on the real bass players! :D
    -Alex

20. +1
    its not a song, but if you play them, people think you are amazing for an example, go to victorwooten.com and go to the lessons, and he has that slap-hammer-pop technique that is easy to play, and makes people think you are good