1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats a good song to learn simply for showing off?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Earthday, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Slap an open string, hammer on any fret on the string, pop the octive of the not you hammerd on too. The octive can be found for anystring by going 2 frets over and 2 frets up. Practice it until it's fluid, you should recognize the sound.

2. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    man that's awful advice, this guy mght be the next 'jaco', lets check out some of your chops then... send me your website link..maybe you're not in a good position to give advice on such matters

3. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Since jaco played all the showing off basslines that people before him had played. (this is sarcasm), I agree with Woodchuck.

4. Tommy the cat has always proved to be a winner with me. Especialy when you sing and play it

5. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

The Barney Miller Theme is a good one.

6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    woodchuck is one of the more experienced players on here, as well as one of the most respected.

who says you are in a such position to give advice on such matters?

woodchuck was giving his professional advice. check the site in his info. i'd say he's qualified to give his opinion.

7. paulodumb

paulodumb

Jan 16, 2006
    ypsilanti, mi
    master of puppets. start playing it slowly, it's actually not too complex, but you can really impress somebody who doesn't play if you can play it with any speed.
    also too many puppies by primus. people who know just a little bit about playing bass will be like ***? i didn't know you could do that.

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Aside from the "praise dance" riff (some of y'all know what I'm talking about), I've found that the grooves from the following songs/artists to be songs that are pretty easy and infectious. That's what you should be striving for, IMHO

Funkin' for Jamaica - Tom Browne (Marcus Miller)
    Square Biz - Teena Marie (Rick James)
    Flash Light - Parliament (Bootsy Collins)

Unbelievably, drippy wet, funk.......

...and yeah, Teen Town is a good one, too

9. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Yo Man...I'm not so sure you wanna get in a "chops" match with Woodchuck......

10. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I probably don't need to tell you, but...............bad move.
    -Alex

11. jokerk874

jokerk874

Feb 27, 2006

i'm terrible at dubble thumping, although i'm getting better

as for double popping, i can't get much faster than 8th's consistantly lol

12. Earthday

Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    What's with all the hate. Some people here really are stuck up. I have been playing 4 years now focused mostly on jazz and groove, and I have better timing and groove than anyone I know. So why is it that if I make a thread about wanting to learn a few showoff licks I'm automatically a "beginner" and need to learn "such and such". I've spent the past 4 years bettering myself for the good of my band, and now that we've hit a bump with our drummer breaking his leg, I want to spend a little time having fun on my own and wowing the people who know nothing about bass a little. I mean, why not?

Not that I didn't fully expect that repsonse though. One of the only real negatives about this place.

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Its like jrak on HCFX all over again.

pacojaswhatever: "j00 chopz suckz d00d"
    woodchuck: "/owned"

14. Carry On Wayward Son. ---Kansas---

A fun tune with just a touch of "...ooh, gotta practice that part..." thrown in.:D

15. OUWCH!!!:bag:

16. jokerk874

jokerk874

Feb 27, 2006
    A lot of my friends who know nothing at all about bass are mostly impressed by either fast, action-pacted bass lines, OR songs that they're farmiliar with whether the song is difficult or not

17. I'd go +1 on "familiarity", myself.
    Had a girl in high school give me a '45 (that's a miniature vinal record with one song on each side, for you youngen's), of "Radar Love" and asked me to learn the bass line. For those that have heard it, it's not much, but it sure impressed her. It's familiar tunes that people like to hear. Beatles lines like the "Day Tripper" riff really turn peoples' heads, especially if you "accidently" drop a quote into a solo during a song. Makes 'em smile! That's what it's all about! IMHO...;)

18. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    If you really want to show off then make something crazy up yourself and play that.

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

LOL! Woodchuck and I have not seen eye to eye on many things, but to question his chops, advice, or professionalism is ludicrous. You should do a little research before you open your cybermouth. RIght now, it's time to remove your cyberfoot.

20. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Actually, my friend, this isn't about hate. Rather, it's about not showing off for showoff's sake. There's a really fine line between amazing showmanship and being a show off.

I haven't cared to learn machine-gun triplets, or some other "gee whiz" techniques at this moment, but I get the same amount of love when I'm strolling thru the audience, going behind the bar, or playing out in the parking lot with a wireless....still holding a groove and occassionally slapping for effect.

oh...and I see your 4 years playing and raise you 6, just so you know where I'm coming from....