1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats a good song to learn simply for showing off?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Earthday, Mar 17, 2006.

1. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Who gives a damn if the kid wants to show off? Let him be, not everybody has to love bass as much as some of us do, that will come in time or never if its not meant to be. In the meanwhile if he wants to show off with machine-gun triplets good for him, it'll build finger strength and hell be able to play new stuff.

2. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    this thread is interesting for the simple fact that we are discussing whats worth learning first !! I too would say that groove is where its at....if you want to impress then get those toes tappin on a primitive level and it can be just a couple of well placed notes ...but those notes need the right attack ...swing....hammer on ...whatever ...it comes with time. Also groove is something you either have or you dont ..like dancing.

I think amongst others that jaco is a great way to up the anti on your style and really get more sophisticated about what important when it comes to playing the bass. Thats not to say that you need to jazz everything up and sound like him.

If my drummer broke his leg and i had a few months to kill i might get a copy of that jaco modern bass dvd and become more aware and proficient in becoming a more excellent bass player.....if you start to get it together on that guys level people will start to listen and come back for more.

3. +1. Good idea. And Jaco isn't the only DVD out there. There's lots of good ones for different styles.

Also, if I had the time, I'd do more "ear training" that I grew up with. Find some good albums with challenging lines and learn them! (I always loved playing with the best of the best in my own basement!;) )

Also, get some Music Minus One albums and work on your reading skills. Great stuff, and again; I think there's different genres you can get. Not just jazz. Use the time wisely, but have fun at it as well!:bassist:

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Great song, though not as recognizable to many as the show was off the air before many of us (including myself) were born. :D

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Woodchuck the man! I heartily endorse his opinions and playing abilities!

Woodchuck, kickbacks can be sent via PayPal.

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Giant Steps.

No, not just the head.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Paco, let's put it this ths way: If I cause the great Paco to take shots at me, then I am in a position to give this advice. He should try to impress people, because he could be the "next Jaco"? Okay. :rolleyes: As for my "chops", I think having Dale Titus asking me, "Do that slowly? I want to see what it is you're doing." and having Bill Dickens saying to me, "Show me that?", mean that I may have a chop or two around here. Am I Vic Wooten? Nah, I don't want to be. He's much better at being Vic than I'll ever be, just like you'd be a better you than anyone else can, but judging by your name, even you don't wanna be you. If ripping me gives you something else to do, other than slamming Roger Sadowsky, then go ahead.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    I attended a Michael Manring clinic, and he played Coltrane's solo while doing a Q&A session. Freaked me out!

9. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Oh, I meant he should improv it (easier than everyone will tell you, I sat down and figured it out last night).

But damn, to actually play Trane's solo? While talking?? Amazing.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Someone asked a question about chording a fretless. He gave the head to Giant Steps as an example. He starts the song, and shows the guy his fingering. Instead of stopping there, he goes into the solo, and continues talking to guy about chording. I was crying. We all were.

11. If you want to show off, pick a song everyone knows and play it like your own keeping it tasteful without stepping all over it

12. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    :eek:

:crying: