Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats a good theory book?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by melvin, Jun 3, 2001.

1. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    what is a good theory book that covers A LOT? is there one that covers pretty much everything thing id ever need to know or would i have to buy like 10 books?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Mark Levine's Jazz Theory.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - I was going to say that - if you want one book that tells you the most about theory then this is it. And the information is useful to most styles of popular music - might offend some of the classical purists, but is very useful in rock,pop,blues, funk, latin etc - not just Jazz.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Here's the complete info.

"The Jazz Theory Book," Mark Levine; Sher Music Company,1995; $38.00, 521 pages, spiral bound.

Besides extensive theory, the book has an outstanding discography plus a list of valuable fake books. Be advised, the music examples are mostly in treble clef and standard notation.

Levine's book is available at Amazon.com plus some music stores and booksellers like Barnes and Noble.

5. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    thanks for the help. the treble cleff stuff wont be a problem since i also play trumpet.