Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's a good versitile (hendrix/marley/sublime/green day) second bass? Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, Oct 21, 2000.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    Right now I have an Ibanez GSR 200 bass upgraded with EMGs. It is pretty decent. However, its my first bass, I've had it for about a year, and I'm looking to get a second bass. I'm looking for a bass that is versitile so that I can get it to sound somewhat-close to a variety of bassists such as Noel Redding (Jimi Hendrix Experience), Aston Barrett (Bob Marley), Eric Wilson (Sublime), and Mike Dirnt (Green Day). Now I know Noel Redding and Aston Barrett both play/ed Fender Jazz basses, but Eric Wilson has a custom built Stingray-like bass and Mike Dirnt has a 60's P-Bass. Do you think my best bet would be an American Jazz bass (new or old) or can you think of something that may better suit me?

Thanks,
    David

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The Jazz is fine..
    Anyway.. I would really recommend an Ibanez ATK300 it is great.

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    An Ibanez Iceman...:)

4. I would recommend to anyone considering a Fender Jazz Bass of any description that you seriously check the G&L SB-2. I really think Leo Fender did a great job of improving his passive bass designs through the SB-2. It is a quasi P-J configuration, but it seems to me he must have really designed the bass to sound very close to a Jazz Bass when both pickups are on. It really sounds a lot more like a Jazz Bass than any other P-J wired bass I've heard. So given that, when you solo the P pickup, you get a really fantastic P bass sound and with both pickups on, it sounds like a really great Jazz Bass.

And if you want to talk about quality and workmanship, the G&L is a much higher quality instrument than the contemporary Fender brand basses IMO. I sold all my old Fenders after buying my SB-2.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    American Deluxe Jazz V, or even an American Deluxe Precision V.

6. I would either get a MIA Fender Jazz, or a Hot-Rodded Fender Precision, which has a P and a J pickup and an ash body.

7. Try a Reverend Rumblefish and don't look back.

8. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    What is the difference between the Rumblefish and the Rumblefish XL? I heard that the Rumblefish is terrible for slapping, those with experience, what do you think?

- David

9. Hey David,
    The difference between the Rumblefish and the Rumblefish XL is.. the Rumblefish has a separate volume for each pickup and a tone control, while the XL has a master volume, tone, and a three-way switch (single coil, series, parallel.) I have one of each and I prefer the XL.. there are a ton of tones in there, between the tone control and the three-way switch, and I prefer having a single volume control.
    I don't do much slapping, mostly just fooling around, but I think the Rumblefish is OK for slapping. Obviously, active pickups would help in this area. The action on my basses is nice and low though, I can slap all kinds of triplets and weird patterns with no problem..
    I see you are in Michigan.. that is Reverend's home turf.. definitely try one out if you can!