Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's a good vocal/instrument microphone?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jan 15, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The title about says it all. I'd like to stay within a $100 range. Also, what do you guys use? Anyome recording with a $500-$1000 mic? Any info/suggestion will be appreciated.

Will C.:cool:

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Shure SM57... pretty good vocal mic, good instrument mic, the standard for snare drum, less than $100.

3. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I've got to agree with Turock on this, although, if you are using it alot for vocals, you may want to go with the SM58. It is essentially the same microphone as the SM57, but it has a windscreen for vocals.

You will also need a decent pre-amp for recording. If you have a Mackie mixer, then you are already in pretty good shape. If you don't have a pre-amp, you may want to look into something like a used ART Tube MP.

Personally, I use a Rode NT-1 for both vocals and guitar. It runs about $199.00 these days and, while it's not the best mic in the world, it is a really good deal for the money. Someday I hope to own a Neuman or a real tube mic because a good mic makes such a huge difference with vocals, but I think it will be a while before I can afford anything made by Neuman.

I haven't yet found a mic I'm happy with for bass, so I always record that direct.

[Edited by Saint on 01-16-2001 at 03:00 PM]

4. the iceman

the iceman

Nov 27, 2000
    I'm pretty happy with my SM-57, so I'll have to agree with Saint and Turock. It's pretty much the industry standard, so you can't go wrong and it sounds good for drums and instuments I think. Going direct for bass isn't a bad idea either though like Saint said. We've tried it with vocals, but found better luck with our cheaper vocals AKGs we have (probably because there's no windscreen thing over it). And, I picked it up for only 80 bucks at Guitar Center and it came with a free mic cord and stand!! Woo hoo!!!

5. I own 6 mics 3 SM57s,AKG 2 condenser mics that work pretty good as a stereo pair for acoustic instruments, and a stereo Crown PZM that I use a lot for drums and ambient uses. For bass I usually just go direct and add a little room-verb. I have also used the Rode NT-1 mics with good results, good bang for the buck. Mic preamps are also a good idea and the ART MP1 is very afordable.

6. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I guess it would be helpful at this point to tell what I'm using as a recorder. It's a Tascam 488MKII (eight track).

As far as the preamp thing is concerned, would an L.R. Baggs Gigpro suffice? I'm trying to stick to a budget.

Keep 'em comin'!

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    audio technica 3025 sound good, I also own a sm57. There is almost nothing a 57 can't do.

8. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    If your Tascam recorder provides Phantom power(48volts) on it's 2 XLR inputs and you had to keep it to 1 mic,I'd try to go with a condenser,especially since your recording to cassette.Condensers are better at capturing nuances and detail than dynamics and are useful in almost any situation save hand held by R. Daltrey at a Who show(they're somewhat more fragile.)Detail and impact missed at the source cannot be dialed in later on down the chain.The Rode NT1(get it?)is a good bang for bucker,also the new AKG C3000s and both can be had pretty cheap.If you can afford 2 mics,then get a dynamic as the 2nd especially if you record amplified electric guitar, the SM57 is a mic you've been hearing all your lfe on recordings of guitar,but this is not to say it's an accurate mic.

9. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Thanks, Ray. It does have +48V Phantom Power.

I should Also add that the Mike will be used almost exclusively with my studio.

10. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    One of the best mic's I've found is the Audio Technica 4047/sv. It's great for vocals, bass (it can take up to an 159 db spl), guitar, Overheads for drums should be fortunate enough to own 2. It has a very warm, and articulate sound that just seems to jump from your speakers. They are about $500, not cheap but believe me they sound like they could cost 3 times as much. Really they're that good.