Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats A good wah?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by p funk allstar, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Whats a good (and cheap) bass wah pedal?

2. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    i have a 105Q crybaby its pretty good i like it, although i want to know what bass wah can wah E and A strings really well... like Rage Against the Machine, it seems their bassist wahs so low notes what does he use?

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wrong Forum. A wah pedal is an effect, no?? So, this should be in the EFFECTS forum.

4. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    i believe in the studio timmy c uses an octaver... so he can get a good wah sound by playing the notes higher up but making them sound lower with the octaver

live he just wahs the low notes but it doesn't sound perfect.... although if you watch the mexico city dvd his tone is great on it

5. Dino

Dino

Jan 9, 2002
    Cagliari - Italy
    I know that this is one of the greatest wha pedal you can find for your bass. this is what many bass players say. Do you know it? Anyone can tell me something about this gear?

6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    dino- i got one for christmas a few years ago... (snarling dogs bawl buster) at the time i didnt use it much cuz my amp couldnt handle a wah on the low strings (what i was after at the time) i dont use it much anymore, but it is damn cool to break out some times. (i now play a 210+18 stack, handles it fine) it doesnt do the wahkka-chukka sound (its much ballzier than that) more of a loud sick moan on its bassier setting. (it has 3 settings) on the high range setting ( i forget what its called) it works great with staccato finger funk. turns the bass into a funky burping talkie sound, and you can twist it around with the pedal of course. one thing... its HUGE.. got a really well built case... i think its a molded magnesium alloy (the same thing they used to make mountain bike shock absorbers out of) so its tough. heavey too. the whole thing weighs around 9 lbs i think. its big, and it defenitly wont skitter around the stage like a cheapo plastic unit. overall id say its nice, but try it out first (its only good for one thing, and if you dont like it.. its not worth the 150 bucks itll cost ya.) if youve got any other questions id be happy to answer em for ya (email me... lownote@hotmail.com)

~Scott

7. The white bass crybaby does a good job on the low notes and you can get one new for $100 bucks... i dont think you can beat that. IMO the snarling dog and morley bass wahs sound like a dying robot.

8. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My 105Q (white) dunlop bass crybaby wah works great on all notes and strings. You just have to adjust the Q knob and volume knob to get good sound. I highly recommend it and for $100 it is a fairly good deal

-KB